Att update to 5.1

rgaryc

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. Formatted the cache partition and tried again several times, but still no luck. Update downloads but craps out during install with 'installation interupted" error message.

MaggieMyCat

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I received notification and attempted the download. It kept stopping, finally finished, said to restart and then it told me - NO, the update was not able to complete.

When an update is this hard, think I'll wait a few days.

jorobs

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine finally updated after I cleared up memory. My phone is much slower and pauses now in the middle of texting or just about anything. Haven't found anything good about this update yet but will keep checking back for comments :-/

Me too. Chrome is very slow, the keyboard doesn't come up when I try to type in the url, pages taking a long time to load/not loading. I freed up a ton of space before I did the dl which still took 2 tries, but I'm getting flashbacks to my old desktop computer trying to load a Web page on dialup while the computer was in need of a defrag. Texting in the stock app is slow and also I'm getting incomplete texts with nonsense characters, I think from iPhones only. Animation is slow, I just clicked on the home button and the screen sat here on this page for a good 3 seconds before bringing up a blank home screen then loading all the app icons.
Oh! And I can't double tap on a word when I'm typing to highlight it any more, have to long tap. Its gonna take a lot of muscle memory reprogramming to change that habit.
This is bad.

Last edited:

stlfrosti

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
So, UPDATE or NO????

I have mine downloaded and waiting... i postponed it for a day but if this has any benefits to it then I'll probably give it a try.

Said you CANNOT reverse the update tho...

Celtictrek

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Mine updated several days ago. It was okay till today. Now all my calls are going directly to voice mail...again! I've done everything - made sure blocking is off, not in airplane mode, rebooted, yada yada. Any suggestions are to what else to try prior to going back to factory settings and starting all over agian? (And will that even help?!) I bought this phone unlocked from Amazon. Am seriously considering returning it and getting something else!

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Alright so my wife got the update and it failed, which i know now because at&ts incompetent software engineers requiring 6.5gb of free space for 600mb update. Really boggles my mind just how stupid that requirement is, has to be a case of someone misplaced a decimal point and made the space requirements too high. Anyway that's not the issue. The issue is we can't get option to update again. Really don't get it but after it failed it said we were up to date, check again in 24 hours. 24 hours later it still says we're up to date. What gives here? The update is already downloaded so why don't I have an option to update?

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Alright so my wife got the update and it failed, which i know now because at&ts incompetent software engineers requiring 6.5gb of free space for 600mb update. Really boggles my mind just how stupid that requirement is, has to be a case of someone misplaced a decimal point and made the space requirements too high.

As per post #72...

Keep going! Rumour has it that you need 6-7GB free as AT&T appear to be increasing the system partition size, again, to accommodate more carrier bloatware in a future release.

AT&T users now have a whopping 1.5GB less phone memory than the stock, unbranded, Samsung firmwares worldwide.

stlfrosti

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
How do I delete the download?? OR, how do I turn OFF the reminder to run the downloaded update... I choose to wait till this thread is longer and not FULL of complaints

Roy Galindo

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been having these same issues for the last week and I'm trying again one more time before I take my phone to ATT. What did you do to get it to update?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I've been having these same issues for the last week and I'm trying again one more time before I take my phone to ATT. What did you do to get it to update?

Hello and welcome to Android Central Roy Galindo!

How much free space do you have on your phone's internal memory. Go to...

Settings > Storage > Available space

jj8279

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the updated OS (5.1) for about two weeks now. I definitely notice a difference in the battery life predominately due to the fact the OS closes apps now when the phone is in standby as opposed to the past which kept apps open and running. The only complaint I have at the moment is the vibration for text messages or other notifications seems to be weakened when the phone is on vibrate now. When on audio, if I get a message the vibrate feature is normal and strong (setting is for ring and vibrate). When I have the phone on vibrate only, the vibration is weak and barely noticeable. Anyone else come across this? If so, any suggestions? I would rather not keep the phone on audio all day especially while in an office. In the past on vibrate, the vibration was strong enough I didn't need audio additionally. Now after update, not the case.
Also, any word if marshmallow will ever be for the Galaxy S5 or is just for the S6?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Have you had a look at...

Settings > Sounds and notifications > Vibration intensity > Incoming call/Notifications/Haptic feedback.

Android 6.0, Marshmallow, will be released by Samsung for the Galaxy S5 however, I cannot comment on the non Samsung firmware models. See, #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

jj8279

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
Yea, I looked in Settings > Sounds and notifications > Vibration intensity > Incoming call/Notifications/Haptic feedback already and the vibration is at the max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo