5.11 on Verizon S5...Maybe

NosmoKing116

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Had a chat with tech support and they say the S5 will get 5.11 within a few weeks...

I had someone else say by the end of October, but since its the 30th I doubt that one.

Attachments

• screenshot-sales.liveperson.net 2015-10-30 12-29-37.png
    screenshot-sales.liveperson.net 2015-10-30 12-29-37.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 167

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." (George Santayana)

What makes anybody think that by the time Verizon have got through with their countless modifications to the OS, their extra 20+ system app bloatware and mega locked down bootloader... that a forced Android 5.1.1 update will be any better than their cloneware releases of Android 5.0 and Android 4.4.4 in terms of battery life, performance and usability... and this time, you may not be able to downgrade back to an earlier release if you don't like it!!!

As per post #3... "Be careful what you wish for... lest it come true!" ;)

Last edited:

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." (George Santayana)

What makes anybody think that by the time Verizon have got through with their countless modifications to the OS, their extra 20+ system app bloatware and mega locked down bootloader... that a forced Android 5.1.1 update will be any better than their cloneware releases of Android 5.0 and Android 4.4.4 in terms of battery life, performance and usability... and this time, you may not be able to downgrade back to an earlier release if you don't like it!!!

As per post #3... "Be careful what you wish for... lest it come true!" ;)

You're right. I should really just buy a Nexus 5X :p

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I've held off from updating to 5.0. I'm still on 4.4.4 and it works great and battery life has been good for me depending on the circumstances.

I want to update to 5.1.1. Does anyone know if the other carriers' update to 5.1.1 fixed some of the issues people had with 5.0 on Verizon such as battery life?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've held off from updating to 5.0. I'm still on 4.4.4 and it works great and battery life has been good for me depending on the circumstances.

I want to update to 5.1.1. Does anyone know if the other carriers' update to 5.1.1 fixed some of the issues people had with 5.0 on Verizon such as battery life?

I'm sure there's a separate thread on that...this is a forum for Verizon users who have yet to receive 5.1.1 yet. We really couldn't tell ya here

NosmoKing116

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has no clue. Their Live Chat person said the version I have is invalid. It's BOG5 with the Stagefright prevention.

Verizon is clueless. It's like Samsung isn't giving them any information as to the update or Verizon. Every other carrier has the 5.11 release . Did Samsung forget that Verizon existed? It's ridiculous.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Samsung has no clue. Their Live Chat person said the version I have is invalid. It's BOG5 with the Stagefright prevention.

Verizon is clueless. It's like Samsung isn't giving them any information as to the update or Verizon. Every other carrier has the 5.11 release . Did Samsung forget that Verizon existed? It's ridiculous.

No wonder Samsung are clueless about Verizon's cloneware... they don't even issue it! See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

However, OG5 is the latest release from Verizon and has the first security update, (there has been 2 more since then from Samsung), with partial fixes for Stagefright, I believe. Use Stagefright Detector, free from the Play Store to check your security.

As you can see from this thread, Samsung has not released Android 5.1.1 to any of its international and regional models, both carrier branded and unbranded, worldwide and may indeed choose to bypass it, as they did for Android 4.4.4, and go straight to Android 6.0.

IIRC, it is just the U.S. minority variants for AT&T, T-Mobile (US) and Metro-PCS that have Android 5.1.1 so far.

Last edited:

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Based on absolutely no data or inside sources, I think we will see this update starting tomorrow / this week :)

Posted via the Android Central App - Verizon S5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC