Did my S5 charging cable die?

Howieee

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I've had my phone for about 1 year and 9 months and recently I noticed that my phone wasn't charging right. I usually use the USB wall adapter, and it would sometimes show charging via USB in the Battery settings, and then other times via AC.

It got to the point where it would nearly always charge via USB with the wall charger, and horribly slowly. It took 9 or 10 hours to go from a low battery to a full charge.

So I decided to use my PS4 USB cord (that only connects on the right side of the charging port to charge), connected it to the wall charger, and now it charges via AC again and as fast as before.

Is it safe to assume that my old USB cable I've been using died? It's been under heavy use for almost 2 years. The plastic casing around the metal USB part broke off, and I super glued it back on. That was around the time this began, but I was sure I didn't get any glue on anything except the plastic casing.

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much, yeah... If you use a different cable and your charging rate is back to normal (when it charges in 'USB Mode' it only charges at 0.5 A, while the wall chargers are usually 1.5 or 2 Amperes) then yup, your cable is pretty much kaput, at least for charging. It might still work for data transfer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7