Contacts - clean up

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I use the smartphone listed below. When I click on the menu, I have the UNLINK choice on the menu. Most of the duplicate listings, are CLOUD or Google. How do I get rid of the Duplicates without deleting them individually.?

Smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S5, Lollipop 5.0, Verizon network

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
From contacts select settings, contacts, contacts to display.

Thanks but when I go to the contact, I have to unlink. When I do, I see an entry for CLOUD. It's those entries I'm trying to get rid of.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google Contacts (connected via)

I've been having trouble getting all birthdays to show up in my Google Calendar. I suspect that the problem is the (connected via) in Contacts . Some of the contacts are connected via Phone and some are connected via my Google account. How do I change the connected via to one source for all contacts. Thanks.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Contacts on cloud

I have the smart phone listed below. My contacts were probably supplied by Samsung instead of Google. Each time I looked at a contact, there is a duplicate file on the the cloud. How do I get that to stop happening. They are creating duplicates comma and are cluttering up my smartphone with unnecessary and trees. How do I stop it from happening? Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Multiple listings in Contacts

How do I stop my smartphone from creating multiple listings when I UNLINK contacts. There are many accounts, PHONE, CLOUD and Google accounts. Do I need to delete the CLOUD account? Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Contacts has stopped error

I just started getting a UNFORTUNATELY, CONTACTS HAVE STOPPED, how do I fix it. Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Marshmallow 6.0.1 Verizon

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Contacts problem

I just started getting a UNFORTUNATELY, CONTACTS HAVE STOPPED, how do I fix it. Thanks.

Clear the app cache for Contacts: system settings > applications > sort by all > contacts.

Let us know if that helps.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Contacts problem

Clear the app cache for Contacts: system settings > applications > sort by all > contacts.

Let us know if that helps.

Unless I did something incorrectly. Your suggestion didn't work. I went into APPLICATIONS /APPLICATIONS MANAGER /CONTACTS, but I didn't see a CLEAR CACHE like there was in Lollipop. Did I miss something?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Contacts has stopped error

Try clearing all your phone's cache. Go to "Settings > Storage > Internal Storage" and tap on "Cached Data" to clear it.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Contacts strange behavior

Can anyone explain why my Contacts icon doesn't work, error message is UNFORTUNATELY, CONTACTS HAS STOPPED, yet the contacts are fully functional in the PHONE application. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Contacts strange behavior

Are all of your contacts in your Google account, or do you have a lot of locally saved contacts in the Phone account? If they're all in the Google account, try going to the App Manager, select Contacts, then Clear Cache/Clear Data. Do the same for Contacts Storage. Now open Contacts again--does it open successfully? If so, wait a few seconds for it to sync your Google contacts again, and then you should be good to go.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Are all of your contacts in your Google account, or do you have a lot of locally saved contacts in the Phone account? If they're all in the Google account, try going to the App Manager, select Contacts, then Clear Cache/Clear Data. Do the same for Contacts Storage. Now open Contacts again--does it open successfully? If so, wait a few seconds for it to sync your Google contacts again, and then you should be good to go.

I don't have Google Storage. What else can I do? Your plans sound reasonable and they may work if I can find Google Storage. You've always come through for me. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if your reference to Google Storage is the same thing I'm thinking of. Go to contacts.google.com on your computer browser--do you see all of your contacts there? If so, then all of the contacts on your phone are probably synced with your Google account.

To be sure, open the Contacts app, tap More>Contacts to Display, and see if you can choose between your Google account, your Samsung account, and the local Phone account. First choose the Phone account, and see if you have a lot of contacts there. Then check the Samsung account. If neither of those accounts have any important contacts, then they're all with your Google account. This means you can Clear Cache/Clear Data from Contacts and Contacts Storage (as described in my previous post) without danger of losing your contacts.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I don't want to complcate my original post, but a new issue has surfaced since the Marshmallow Update . I have lost many Google Photos. They are not in the trash or my backup. Additionally, many options you describe are not available. Additionally, although my Google Contacts still return the original error message, all the contacts are fully functional in the PHONE account. Very strange. I think I may have given you an additional problem. Sorry.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

In Marshmallow, when you go to the App Manager and select an app, you may have to tap the Storage category first, then clear cache/data there.

But I agree with ironass about wiping the cache partition first.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

In Marshmallow, when you go to the App Manager and select an app, you may have to tap the Storage category first, then clear cache/data there.

But I agree with ironass about wiping the cache partition first.

I've done both. I also performed the WIPE PARTITION in the RECOVERY menu. They are still missing. Strangely, the contents of the TRASH show photos deleted in the last few days. I used have 60 days in the TRASH with Lollipop. Are these photos gone forever?