Since Anroid L Update, Viber background process keeps getting killed

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

since I recieved the POEC update, my phone keeps shutting down the Viber background process and I keep missing calls. (I only see the missed call, when I manually start the app, and the app is working perfectly then, I can recieve and take calls as usual)

I already tried reinstalling Viber, Wipe Cache partition, reboot, delete cache etc.

What can I do now? This is a very annoying thing, that I also experienced with other background apps like NoRoot Firewall, the system keeps shutting down needed background processes without even asking, what kind of ****ty RAM management is that?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Amar. I've read some reports about this same issue. It seems the problem is on Viber side and they are aware of it. I'll try to find the thread where a member shared his conversation with Viber support. In theory an update for the app is on its way. I should contact them through email, you can find it on the Play Store.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

since I recieved the POEC update, my phone keeps shutting down the Viber background process and I keep missing calls. (I only see the missed call, when I manually start the app, and the app is working perfectly then, I can recieve and take calls as usual)

I already tried reinstalling Viber, Wipe Cache partition, reboot, delete cache etc.

What can I do now? This is a very annoying thing, that I also experienced with other background apps like NoRoot Firewall, the system keeps shutting down needed background processes without even asking, what kind of ****ty RAM management is that?

Seems like you're not the only one, judging by the reviews on the Play Store for Viber. Looks to be an app issue with incoming calls and messages. You can email them for a workaround, it seems.

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello Amar. I've read some reports about this same issue. It seems the problem is on Viber side and they are aware of it. I'll try to find the thread where a member shared his conversation with Viber support. In theory an update for the app is on its way. I should contact them through email, you can find it on the Play Store.

Hmm, there are at least over 2 other apps that also get killed in the background, so I think this is an issue with android, most probably the added smart manager bloatware..(My next phone won't be Samsung) but anyway, I've mailed Viber support.

If you find the conversation with Viber support that'd good-

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Did you remember to exclude Viber from Optimisation in Smart Manager? Better still, turn off Optimisation altogether.

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Did you remember to exclude Viber from Optimisation in Smart Manager? Better still, turn off Optimisation altogether.

No, actually I didn't, and I just looked for it, I don't seem to even have this option for app optimization, where could I turn it off!?

edit: It says "all apps have used a normal amount of battery power while the screen is turned off" the details button is greyed out, Smart manager seems to be not able to grasp my working apps I guess.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
No, actually I didn't, and I just looked for it, I don't seem to even have this option for app optimization, where could I turn it off!?

edit: It says "all apps have used a normal amount of battery power while the screen is turned off"

Go to...

Smart Manager > Battery > App optimisation > Detail

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
See my edit post, the Detail button is greyed out on my device, Smart Manager seems to not be grasping my apps battery usage stats.What can I do?

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
See my edit post, the Detail button is greyed out on my device, Smart Manager seems to not be grasping my apps battery usage stats.What can I do?

Go to...

Settings > Application manager > All > Smart Manager Provider... and clear cache and data, (in Manage Storage). Then go back to the Smart Manager app and disable Optimisation.

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Still it looks like this
hnipc6qk.png

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
As I mentioned the DETAIL button is greyed out(see screenshot) and that makes that it doesn't work. --> post #6, #9 #11
Data and Cache deleted, still no difference.

Last edited:

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I received a reply from Viber support, they confirmed this issue is known to them and they're working to fix it.

Last edited:

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
No, this was the mail:

Hello ****,
Thank you for contacting us.

We are familiar with this issue and are currently investigating it.
We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
Mic******
Viber Support Team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12