Screen heating issue and Music player crashing

sammy808

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello! New to the forums. Excuse me if this is asked before. Well, my Samsung S5's screen becomes hot when i surf for say 10 minutes or so. The surfing usually is Facebook(app), Instagram(app), Whatsapp and some web page search on chrome.
While my screen becomes hot, the back side of phone seems normal. By normal i mean warm! No issues with the back though! I've cleared the cache by wipe partition cache. Also i did a reset (delete and restore to factory settings). But it works good for few hours or maybe more. And again it behaves the same.

Second part, While using the mentioned apps above, i listen to music. First i used to listen by default 'Music' player. Then switched to JetAudio presuming that default player is the culprit. So whenever i listen to music be it any player, it crashes. And i have to clear the RAM or close apps so that i can listen it again. But even after doing this it crashes after 30 minutes or an hour. I don't know if this is to be happened in this 2014 Flagship phone. Throw some light on me as i'm using android for the first time who used to use 'rooted Symbian' before.

P.S: I've mentioned rooted because if you think i new to Android doesn't mean i'm a nerd.

Thanks.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen heating and crashing of music player.

Welcome to Android Central! I'm trying to remember, but I think there was a thread a while back that mentioned JetAudio causing issues with RAM. Have you tried a different music player, like PowerAmp or Mortplayer Music?

sammy808

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

Okay! So while testing for few hours now, the Poweramp seems to be working without crashing! Only coming days will tell if it really works well. Thanks for the help B. Diddy. Hope this gets fixed.

But still the question of heating screen remains. :-\

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Do you mean that the screen is still heating up, despite the change in music app? Is the battery also draining quickly?

sammy808

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

I don't know if the music player & heating of the screen is related to each other. But yeah when the screen gets hot, battery drains quicker than normal. After switching all the networks off and putting the phone in flight mode brings the temperature down. And again after use (this time music player is not running) of social sites and downloading couple of apps over wifi heats the screen for some time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, thanks for posting all of those screenshots--not many people post all of the correct shots that I request on the first try!:)

But unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), there isn't anything there that really jumps out at me. The screen-on time is pretty good--you're essentially on track for 5+ hours on one charge. Cell signal is strong the whole time. There doesn't seem to be any app that is malfunctioning and using an inordinate amount of battery.

Since the degree of heat can be subjective, it can be hard to tell from a written description how normal or abnormal it is. Are you able to compare your phone to someone else's S5?

sammy808

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input! :) The battery life is decent if the usage is normal. Yeah the signal here is pretty strong!

I can't compare it with someone else's S5. But there are few other android phones to which I can. For eg. there's Lenovo Vibe X2 at home, which does heat but not as my S5. I've also read on the internet that water resistant phone do heat sometimes.

Also does airview feature, if enabled can lead to this? I've turned that feature off now and find little if not tremendous change in heating.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone in a case? I wonder if it might be having trouble dissipating heat, if the case is poorly designed.

Not sure about the Airview feature, sorry!

sammy808

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for not being here. Was busy day yesterday!

Is the phone in a case? I wonder if it might be having trouble dissipating heat, if the case is poorly designed.

I don't think so. But I did again a wipe partition cache and a reset. After that I didn't use the case and started from the scratch. Installed all apps from the store this time (phone did heat while installing apps). Now heating is there but I notice it from the left side of the back and thus the screen corresponding to it as shown in the attachment and the right part is normal (warm).

Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Back.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what to make of that. Sometimes, if you have a bad SD card, that can cause increased battery drain, but that usually corresponds to high battery use by Media Server. And I would expect it to be warm where the card is, near the camera.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to Unmount the card (if present--go to Settings>Storage) and remove it, then see if the heat issues persist.

sammy808

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I guess my memory card was a corrupt one! It worked like a charm without memory card. This never came in my mind. Now the issue of heating is gone and the phone becomes warm and comfortable to use.

Thanks B.Diddy :)