Difference between a factory reset ind installing an update??

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon S5 and am currently still on Kit Kat (intentionally I might add).

I was just curious if doing a factory reset as my phone is currently configured would automatically upgrade me to lollipop or if it would do a fresh Kit Kat upgrade and prompt me that an update is available?

I am not really having any issues with my phone I just like to do a factory reset every once in a while.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Doing a factory reset should take you back to whatever version you're currently in. BUT I'm not sure if once the phone connects and detects an update if it will install it automatically unless you do the update block magic beforehand. So you might want to avoid connecting the phone to a network until you do.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll hold off. My nexus 7 is also still on kit kat. I think I might try it with that device since from what I have read the marshmallow update is very good. I'm far less concerned with loosing kit kat on that device.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
FYI
I just did a factory reset on my kit kat nexus 7. I am now running a clean install of kit kat. I have an update notification. I'm not sure that my S5 would act the same way.

Posted via the Android Central App