Using Navigation Apps

JRobin19

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
When I use a navigation app on my S5, my battery drains EXTRA quickly, and my phone often overheats. Is there anything I can do to easily turn off other apps to prevent background refresh/push notifications (esentially turning my phone into JUST an internet-connected GPS)? I typically use Waze, but will use Google Maps on occasion too.

Thanks!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
When I use a navigation app on my S5, my battery drains EXTRA quickly, and my phone often overheats. Is there anything I can do to easily turn off other apps to prevent background refresh/push notifications (esentially turning my phone into JUST an internet-connected GPS)? I typically use Waze, but will use Google Maps on occasion too.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Android Central JRobin19!

The first thing to do is to ensure that your phone is receiving a good, strong, accurate GPS fix. To enable this, see GPS fix S5 - Dummies Guide. This can save battery by getting the best fix quickly and accurately.

You might also want to look at HERE Maps, free from the Play Store. This was formally known as Nokia Maps and has the advantage that you can pre-download areas, states, countries and continents, in advance over Wi-Fi to your external SD card and they are always ready for use rather than downloading as you go.

You can also pre-download a limited number of areas for Google Maps also, which can save time, data and battery. See, here.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
As a beta tester of Waze, I can tell you the developers are aware of the heat issue. I use Gsam Battery Monitor on mine, and when it reaches a certain alarm temp, I make sure I put some cold air on it. Not the best answer, but this is what I do. If you can drive and turn the screen off for a while, that will help also....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21