Do I Make the Switch To Straight Talk? Cricket? Neither?

nbarr7655

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
So I just saw a commercial for Straight Talk. It states that you can keep your same network and simply purchase their simcard and plan and boom, you are now paying less for the same coverage, essentially. Has anyone done this for AT&T? Currently I am on a family plan with my two brothers. We are on a plan that was phased out a couple of years ago. Right now, we have a ton of minutes, unlimited texting and 3GB of data each month. The cost comes out to about $72 each per month. However, I see through Straight Talk I can get basically the same thing but with more data for $45 a month. Cricket is the same sort of deal. Has anyone done either one?

Has anyone done this yet? Did your service stay the same? Pros, cons?

Last edited:

redtaco

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Do I Make the Switch To Straight Talk?

Haven't done that, but check out Cricket. They use AT&T lines & I pay 35/month incl all taxes/fees with autopay, unlimited talk & text, 2.5 gb data.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
If you're not on contract with AT&T it will be easier to switch to Straight Talk. I've done it before with another carrier (Sprint) I bought Straight Talks Sim Kit that came with Sims for Verizon, AT&T, and Tmobile. Inserted the correct on into my AT&T phone, then called Straight Talk and talked with a rep. Had my number posted over, updated my APN setttings, and I was up and running. Been with them ever since. And their plan is pretty good. Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data. (First 5GB at High Speed, then slowed to 2G Speeds for the remainder of your bill cycle.) But I never go over the 5GB, I'm always on wifi.

Posted via the Android Central App

nbarr7655

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
My main concern with doing this is service. Will still have the same reliable service? Currently I get service just about everywhere in my area. The only place I don't really get service is at my work and that's because I am located in the basement.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
With Straight Talk, you are using AT&T towers so you will get the same service reliability that you would get if you used AT&T directly only less money.

I've done it with AT&T and Verizon on Straight Talk and have had good service on both.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I moved to cricket. $50 for 5gb,($45,if you prepay) then they slow you to dialup speed for the rest of the month. Speed has gone down) from att) to 9mbps(speedtest),but the service is on att, so same signal strengths...

Only thing I have an issue with is they can't seem to send or receive a text from the USPS. Weird...

nbarr7655

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
See it all sounds pretty good. It just worries me to be honest haha. I have been with AT&T for about 5 years now and haven't really had any issues. The crappy part is, if I switch and for some reason hate it and want to go back then I won't have the same plan I have now since we are grandfathered into it.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend Cricket. Their 2.5Gb is only 40 (35 if autopay) and you get 10 discount for each extra line. For example three lines of 2.5Gb (2.5Gb each, not shared) would be 90=40+30+20 monthly, and signal service is the same as at&t though it's a little slower LTE.

nbarr7655

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I may end up going with it in the end. I mean, I will get the same service at almost half the cost. I don't stream or anything on my phone so the slight speed slowdown shouldn't be a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid