My S5 camera is capable of close focus (macro) but consistently fails to do so in real life

john12971a

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm consistently disappointed in my S5's camera for close focus objects. There doesn't appear to be a macro setting - why not?

Here's a typical scene, I wanted to focus on these flowers dangling from some twigs. I tapped on the screen to focus on the specific point, yet the S5 was having none of it. I'm an experienced photographer, and any other camera would focus where I want it to. But not the S5 - it might hunt in and out for focus, and then decide that it wants to focus to backfround/infinity rather than my intended subject.

Does anyone know why the focus procedure on this camera is so bad? I know that it is capable of close focus becase I took a photo of my glove at close range (3 inches) and it came out sharp. The problem seems to be when you have a range of objects in the scene - even when you tell the camera where to focus, it still decides to ignore you and focus further back in the scene. This doesn't happen on other phones. It looks as though the contrast detection routines are really badly implemented.

Can anyone else share any tips on how to focus the camera where I want it to? I'm using the native camera app. Perhaps there's a better app out there which focuses where I want it to, or perhaps even offers manual focus or focus lock. Very disappointed in this aspect of the S5. See photo below

flowers.jpg

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
DUDE!

I have had the exact same experience. I'll tap to focus, and sometimes it will focus on the object, but then when taking the picture, it re-focuses, and loses the object I'm trying to capture. WTF!!

Another issue - I use the Chase mobile app to deposit checks. Do you know how frustrating it is to try and take an up close shot of a check with that app? Ridiculous...

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
A comment at the bottom of that article was actually helpful as well:

1- Long tap on the home screen or any other screen where you would like to place the widget.
2-Below the screen will be the following choices: Wallpapers,Widgets,Homescreen settings. Tap Widgets.
3- Browse through widgets until you see Magnifier
4- Add the Magnifier Widget to your Homescreen and begin using. You will get amazing results IMMEDIATELY!
5-Enjoy taking REALLY close up photos!

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have this same exact issue and with depositing checks yes its ridiculous! with the checks you'll have to get into certain lighting and do it! That's the only way I can do it in my mobile! I'm gonna take this persons advice above and see if that helps!

Posted via the Android Central App

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
A comment at the bottom of that article was actually helpful as well:

1- Long tap on the home screen or any other screen where you would like to place the widget.
2-Below the screen will be the following choices: Wallpapers,Widgets,Homescreen settings. Tap Widgets.
3- Browse through widgets until you see Magnifier
4- Add the Magnifier Widget to your Homescreen and begin using. You will get amazing results IMMEDIATELY!
5-Enjoy taking REALLY close up photos!

Not seeing this widget :/

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-19-06-19-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-19-06-19-06.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 6

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm rooted but that'd be a strange reason for me not to have a certain widget. Oh well.

And you're using a stock ROM? That Widgets interface looks different than mine. Perhaps a different launcher?

I'm not too keen on this stuff, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Using Nova as my launcher but that shouldn't change what widgets are available. No biggie though, I've lived without it this long.