Galaxy S5 - USB port doesnt work when phone is on

gregsenne

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 and this problem just started this morning. It will not charge. It won't even recognize that the cord is plugged in. I've tried probably ten different cords, including the factory Samsung "USB 3.0" cord with the extra plug on the side. I've tried it in a computer, in the factory charger, in my car charger, and nothing works. The computer will not recognize that a device is connected either.

If I turn the phone off, and plug it into a computer, the gray battery icon appears on the screen as if the battery is dead and charging, but the icon never changes from gray. It will charge this way, although very slowly. I left the phone off, plugged into a computer, and it brought the phone up 10% in 2 hours. Once I turned the phone back on, the battery drained very quickly (down a percent every 3 or 4 minutes without using the phone). I verified that is now doing the same thing plugged into the Samsung factory wall charger as well. (Only while the phone is turned off, though)

What is going on? Obviously the port works because it recognizes it when the phone is turned off.

EDIT: I plugged it into a different computer using the usb 3.0 cord, while turned off, and now it will vibrate and show the gray battery charging icon for about 1 second, then go away. Then, 5 seconds later, it vibrates again and shows the gray battery icon, and keeps repeating like this.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair