Will clearing cache partition lose my game progress?

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
My S5 has started powering itself off randomly during the day. I'm thinking about wiping the cache partition to try to fix this, but I have several games that I don't want to lose progress on. Will wiping my cache partition mean that I lose my progress?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Clearing data from a particular app would (or from the whole phone, which would cause to lose all data). Clearing cache would only clear temporary files stored so that the app/game loads faster, so after you clear it, some apps might take a bit longer to start the first time.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can also try running in Safe Mode to see if the problem is a specific app. Safe Mode stops all 3rd party apps from loading at boot, so only the apps that you specifically open are allowed to run. This helps debug issues by allowing you to run only system apps at first, sort of like having your phone on a factory reset state but while keeping your data and apps installed. Then if you fire up a certain app and it acts up, you know who the culprit is.

I would also keep an eye out to the battery/process report and see if any app stands out as having abnormal consumption.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. This just started a few days ago, and I don't remember installing any new apps recently. Actually, I take that back. I side-loaded an APK that lets me run FoxFi without having to change my screen lock to pw/pin. So I guess I could freeze that and see if it helps. But I'll just try this first. It seems a bit speedier after the cache wipe.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Well it was fine for a couple of days, and then today it had two self power offs. I'm worried it's a hardware problem.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Random restarts can be an indication of a worn-out battery that needs to be replaced. Buy a new battery to see if it fixes the problems.

Once, my tab s started restarting randomly. I tried factory resetting, reflash but no luck. Someone recommend me to replace the battery and the random restart is gone!

Posted with ❤Love❤

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Random restarts can be an indication of a worn-out battery that needs to be replaced. Buy a new battery to see if it fixes the problems.

Once, my tab s started restarting randomly. I tried factory resetting, reflash but no luck. Someone recommend me to replace the battery and the random restart is gone!

Posted with ❤Love❤

Thanks! I actually have a spare battery. I'm going to swap them out right now.

EDIT: The one in the phone was actually my aftermarket spare. The original Samsung battery is back in it now. Fingers re-crossed!

Last edited:

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
So far it has! It's been three days now, and no random power-offs at all. Looks like I'm chucking that spare battery and ordering up a replacement!

Thanks for the tip! :cool:

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Glad that i can help you!
Feel free to ask the forums more if you have anymore questions and troubles!

Posted with ❤Love❤

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Eh, it was only 12 bucks. I'll take that over having to get a new phone any day.

Dont forget to buy only OEM batteries and trusted 3rd party batteries!

Some battery might state they have huge MAH and cheaper but actually its worse than OEM batteries. Also, 3rd party batteries have shorter life and more dangerous.

Posted with ❤Love❤

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
lol, well I only buy ones that have good customer reviews. I still have four batteries from my Moto D2 that lasted from the first week I had that phone until it died.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Four batteries???!!! Dude, what do you do with your phones??!!! haha I bought an extra (one!) for the Note 4 and I used it a handful of times in a year. Now I just don't mind that the Note 5 doesn't have a removable battery. It goes on all day, and on those 'heavy use' days, like vacations taking pictures everywhere, it's easier (and cheaper!) to get a portable battery pack that doesn't need a special charger and can be used for other devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084