Why won't my phone wifi super insanely slow on my home wifi network?

A

AC Question

So, I just returned from a business trip and my Galaxy S5 (on verizon) with android 5 installed now has problems using my home wifi. What it does is it will connect to my router just fine but I will have insanely (think dial up) slow connections to the internet both in apps and in chrome browser. I can do speed tests on the phone and have no problems getting 50mb/s download and 6mb/s upload. I can ping the phone from the computer, I can even access my router through the phones browser. All my other devices in the house have no problems and nothing has changed on my router. Now here is the weird part. I can turn on my guest network on the router and the phone has no issues what so ever. My only consensus is it must have something to do with the security of my normal network, since the guest doesn't use any. But I have been through everything in the router and no luck. I have forced the phone to forget the network and reconnect it, I have cycled the power, I have forced it a new IP address, & I have cleared the cache, I really don't want to have to do a factory reset on the phone if I don't have to, especially if it won't work.

I have a cisco linksys E4200 router with the latest firmware, set to DHCP, I presently have MAC filtering off (had it on at first), using channel 4 (was the least congested). Any assistance would be really helpfull.

Annoyed in Colorado.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Check the encryption on the router (in the wireless or wifi section). If it's TKIP or TKIP+AES, change it to AES. Forget the connection in the phone, then set it up again. Surprisingly, Linksys is one of the worst offenders. I ended up buying a cheap Netgear WNR 2000 to solve the problem. (Think over an hour to download a single picture from Facebook with the Linksys on AES and blink and it's there with the Netgear. Dialup was never that slow - and I go back to 110 baud and rubber cups for the handset.)

cbetguy

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, I misunderstood. I have the router set to WPA/WPA2 mixed mode, nothing talking TKIP or AES. I did try changing it WPA2 only but that made things worse, I would connect to the router but we completely unable to reach the internet, could ping the phone and reach the router through the phone browser but absolutely no internet.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
WPA2 Personal has an encryption method, you're just not finding it. What was happening was that the connection is SO slow, that you think you're not reaching the internet. If you had a ping app with no timeout, you'd get a ping - in a few hours or more. The thruput when you're running mismatched encryption (like Linksys TKIP) is slower than walking a USB drive from NYC to Los Angeles. In a blizzard. (I have a brand new Linksys 4500 sitting here that they refuse to even talk about, let alone fix. My desktops and laptops have no problem with it, but Facebook on an Android phone isn't even a joke. The same hones are blazingly fast on the Netgear on Facebook.)

cbetguy

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I figured out that it was the WPA2 Personal, so I changed it but nothing changes. I know my router is around 5 years old and the latest firmware was released in 2014, so perhaps I need a new router?

trentengler

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm on TMobile, have Galaxy S6 and am having same issue. Had Netgear nighthawk router with motorola sb6141 cable modem and had no issues with phone for nearly a year, then I change cable modems to a netgear (no change to netgear router) and suddenly I'm having lots of issues with S6 wifi.

My Wifi shows connected and exceptionally strong signal, but page loads either time out or are inordinately slow.. If I shut off wifi and use cellular everything is good. Also, if I connect to a neighbor's wifi in my neighborhood, no issues and all good. Seem to have no trouble on other wifi - just my home.

Also annoyed in Colorado

trentengler

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
***UPDATE***
Looks like the problem involves wifi security. I went into my router and turned on unbroadcasted guest networks with no security for both my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. I signed my phone into the 5Ghz network and am having no issues now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance