Why won't my Samsung Galaxy S5 open links?

vidasawyer

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5 won't open links!

I have a Galaxy S5 that has suddenly started to refuse to follow links I am sent by text or email. I get an error message of "No apps can perform this action" on a white page titled "Open file". I've had the phone for over a year now and the problem just started.

Please understand that I am not well versed in technology and highly technical answers won't help much. A step-by-step instruction would be much appreciated!

Thanks

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 won't open links!

I have a Galaxy S5 that has suddenly started to refuse to follow links I am sent by text or email. I get an error message of "No apps can perform this action" on a white page titled "Open file". I've had the phone for over a year now and the problem just started.

Please understand that I am not well versed in technology and highly technical answers won't help much. A step-by-step instruction would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Android Central vidasawyer!

Thank you for your post.

There are currently 41 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and over 3,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 6 different Android platforms, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0, Android 5.0.1, Android 5.0.2 and Android 5.1.1. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly. :)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for such a quick reply! The model number is SM-G900V and it is Android version 5.0.

I am not sure if the Verizon model uses the stock Samsung browser or not.

Have you any anti virus software installed that may be interfering with the links opening?

If you download the Google Chrome browser, free from the Play Store, will that open your links?

vidasawyer

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

Duck Duck Go is my browser and I use Avast virus protection, but the problem didn't surface until well after I installed it. Google Chrome makes it work but I don't like the level of surveillance with Google - is there a way to make it work with DDG?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Duck Duck Go is my browser and I use Avast virus protection, but the problem didn't surface until well after I installed it. Google Chrome makes it work but I don't like the level of surveillance with Google - is there a way to make it work with DDG?

O.K. So you are using a 3rd party browser. Try clearing the DuckDuckGo's cache and data and then uninstall it as per #1.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. Then reboot your phone and re-install DuckDuckGo from the Play Store.

vidasawyer

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

It turns out I have a few extra problems - I can't re-download DDG from the Play Store because although I am signed in to Google, Google keeps telling me to sign in. Thank you for the directions. I'll just bookmark the page so I can refer to it. I think I'll take the phone into a store first and see if they can help. :)