Weird screen issue (physical, I think)

Zzzlain

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know what this is and how/if it can be fixed?

As far as I know, this is not a crack as the phone hasn't suffered recent damage and it doesn't feel like a crack. I also don't have any type of screen foil or bumper

The screen works fine, and the pixels don't seem to be affected, but the thing grows daily. It started last week as a tiny dot and now it is a whole 2-3 cm line

12787153_1143844392346395_868659155_o.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can't tell from the picture, but is the 'crack' under or over the glass? Might be fungus underneath the glass? If it's growing in that pattern it looks organic. It might be an internal crack on the glass, but that would look more... cracky?

Zzzlain

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Under the glass, definitely. The surface feels smooth, no cracks or bumps.
It does indeed loc organic or liquid-ish, and it would explain the constant growth (it has yet again grown since yesterday). But have there been previous cases of things "infiltrating" under the screen?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it's liquid because it would look diluted as it grows, and this looks like it's still thick and strong. I'm still going with 'fungus'. There have been issues with the seals of the S5 before, especially if you've dropped the device or have applied pressure on the sides (like keeping it in a tight pocket).

I doubt this is still under warranty unless you bought it recently, but this looks like it needs to be opened and cleaned.

If the 'crack' is inside the glass (not underneath, but in the middle of the glass itself) it could be a crack that's spreading from the side of the glass and inwards (would be VERY weird, but it's possible...remotely).

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what this is and how/if it can be fixed?

As far as I know, this is not a crack as the phone hasn't suffered recent damage and it doesn't feel like a crack. I also don't have any type of screen foil or bumper

The screen works fine, and the pixels don't seem to be affected, but the thing grows daily. It started last week as a tiny dot and now it is a whole 2-3 cm line

View attachment 217427
SO STRANGE. I have no suggestions, but will be watching for a solution. That does appear organic! Never seen a screen issue like this posted, so I look forward to reading your follow-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC