Why should we upgrade to the S7 ?

jparker71

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm upgrading for the memory and storage. Still love my S5, and I'll be passing it to my wife, but the S7 is fast. Really fast.

Last year I didn't feel like the S6 was worth upgrading to and I never regretted that decision. I played with an S7 at Best Buy a couple days ago and it was love at first touch.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to if you don't want to.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Better of waiting for the S8. The S5 will have marshmallow upgrade. Im sure marshmallow will make our S5 feel new again.

Posted with ❤Love❤

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Better of waiting for the S8. The S5 will have marshmallow upgrade. Im sure marshmallow will make our S5 feel new again.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Ding...Ding...Ding....
That really is the million dollar answer. We are sitting with ver 5 on our S5's while the rest of the google world marches on. Do we invest in another piece of great hardware that we know will always be behind on security and OS updates? I'd buy this phone in a heartbeat *if* I could get my updates from Google, or at least close to Google (Motorola pure?)

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Ding...Ding...Ding....
That really is the million dollar answer. We are sitting with ver 5 on our S5's while the rest of the google world marches on. Do we invest in another piece of great hardware that we know will always be behind on security and OS updates? I'd buy this phone in a heartbeat *if* I could get my updates from Google, or at least close to Google (Motorola pure?)

Don't hold your breath if you have Verizon as your carrier for Marshmallow on your S5.

Posted via Android Central App

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
If you just read Megapixels, then the camera seems like a downgrade. In fact, the S7 camera has 95% better low light sensitivity than the S6 and the iPhone 6S Plus. Also 12MP is suitable up to 30" x 24" enlargements. Unless you routinely expect to print posters from your cell phone shots, its a nonissue.

Unfortunately, the best cell phone camera is the Microsoft Lumia 950XL. It has a 1.9 aperture camera (every other phone is 1.7 or smaller), triple LED flash, and records 2 seconds of video with every photo and produces an automatic "best" image using details out of each video. I have done side-by-side tests with multiple phones and the 950XL blows them all away. If only it ran Android... :(

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't see enough of a leap from the S5 to the S7 to bother upgrading.

I'm just hoping Samsung gets off their lazy butts and pushes Marshmallow to my S5.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If you are on AT&T or Verizon, I wouldn't bother. Their S7 users are waking up to the usual bloatware, locked bootloaders, stock applications removed, "Tramp Stamps", (carrier case branding), on their phones, blah, blah, blah. Too soon to tell if their phones are unrootable yet but what's the betting, if not initially, then later.

Some things never change. :D

neodk

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
T-Mobile shows that the Galaxy S5 on their network will get the Marshmallow upgraded and it is rumored to be released sometime in May. Whether or not the update actually comes out in May or is staggered between the carriers is uncertain.

In my opinion, the Galaxy S5 still performs remarkably well. Unless you actually need a new smartphone, it should suffice for most casual users until the Galaxy S8 comes out. I bought a new T-Mobile variant last week to get Wi-Fi calling and improved network support compared to the unlocked Lumia 640 XL I was using. The 640 XL and the Galaxy S5 have more in common than most think, given that they are both running what could arguably be their last official software release. Windows 10 Mobile has been delayed many times over and most people have come to terms with Android 6.0 not coming to the Galaxy S5 because of reasons.

For argument's sake, I have used Marshmallow on a S5 and Windows 10 Mobile on a 640 XL. While the builds for each are community supported and not final, stable builds meant for daily use it gave me a good idea of what I could expect down the road. I'm more excited about Marshmallow on the S5 than I am for Windows 10 Mobile on the 640 XL, I really see Marshmallow extending the life of the S5 for another year. I see Windows 10 Mobile unifying the desktop and mobile experiences, but the the lack of applications and under-powered hardware will keep the 640 XL best suited for Windows 8.1.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Say what you like about Samsung, they do support their models very well when it comes to firmware/platform updates. We've been through Android 4.4.2, 4.4.4*, 5.0, 5.0.1*, 5.1.1* and now on 6.0.1. (* some models). Other carriers have been known to just issue one firmware and if you want to update, you buy a new model. Considering the Galaxy S5 model is now over 2 years old, that's not bad going!

At the moment I am undecided about moving to the S7 Edge. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread", as old Granny ironass used to say. Besides, by waiting a few months, the prices will come down, rooting methods will be found and firmwares will be updated and flaws found. ;)

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Now that my S5 is running reasonably well, the only appeal of the S7 to me is the camera. Is that worth $700? Probably not. Wonder when the next Nexus is due.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Now that my S5 is running reasonably well, the only appeal of the S7 to me is the camera. Is that worth $700? Probably not. Wonder when the next Nexus is due.

Performance is good on my S5, battery life is decent (from what i know from other phone's), the only thing that wants to make me upgrade is the design and i wanted to taste "premium" feelings instead of all plastic S5.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Performance is good on my S5, battery life is decent (from what i know from other phone's), the only thing that wants to make me upgrade is the design and i wanted to taste "premium" feelings instead of all plastic S5.
My phone is in an UAG case. Even when I had iPhones, I always had them in a case.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

Attachments

• 2016-03-09 19.06.56.jpg
    2016-03-09 19.06.56.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 31

hopismum

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Got my s5 thru at&t's Next plan. Will be paid off in August. Gives me time to fight with myself over going for it. 32gig vs 16gig, more ram, better screen. But a couple of things are making it tough for me to do it. I have 3 batteries and a battery charger - ohhh I so don't want to go backwards with that one. The second one - tempered glass screen saver seem to be a problem with both the s7 and s7 edge. Having used one (made by Luvvitt) for almost 2 years now I really don't want to put up with halos or go back to film and I will not go without screen protection. So many phones have a barely noticing curve now. Sucks for those of us that love tempered glass.

It'll get Marshmallow sooner or more then likely later. At&t update today made this phone even snappier. I'm leaning towards not going for it since I can do everything I do need and want with it, it never fails me and has been a darned good phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol