Locked Screen, how can I get in?

A

AC Question

Locked Screen

I have a samsung S5 that has not been used for 18 months.
I had a screen lock pin on it that was made up of letters and numbers. I was able to access my photos and numbers in this phone using this pin.
Today I have gone to get a number from it and the screen has changed to a telephone key pad look with numbers and letters attached from key 2 to key 9.
Everytime i try and do a letter, it gives me a number instead, and there does not seem to be a way to change it back from letters to numbers. (2abc, 3def, 4ghi) I need letters first and then numbers.
I called Samsung and they said they couldn't help me over the phone and that i had to have it picked up by courier and sent to N.S.W as there was no dealer in Perth. I dont want to do it if they are only going to factory reset it as I would like to keep my information on the phone.
Can someone please help me. i know my password.
I do not have a google account set up, and the phone is not network active.
Can a factory reset be done with an active $2 sim from the same carrier, and then use a software program to retrieve all my photos texts and info again?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! So you're saying that originally, you had an alphanumeric password screen lock, and now it's suddenly asking for a numeric PIN? You could try using a basic USB keyboard connected via OTG cable, and see if the keyboard allows you to enter the alphanumeric password. But if it's expecting a numeric PIN, then it won't help.