S5 owners with Marshmallow - how is it?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Bearing in mind that this is an early release, so far I have nothing but praise for it. IMHO, not as big a jump from Lollipop to Marshmallow as it was from KitKat to Lollipop in terms of UI and user features, it is under-the-hood that has really had a makeover with features such as Doze prolonging the battery life when the phone is idle. Adoptive Storage in Marshmallow has been dropped by Samsung and the SD card is treated the same as usual although, as we have seen from other models Marshmallow releases, there are ways to activate it. The fingerprint scanner has been improved and seems more reliable. The release I am on is unbranded, stock Samsung firmware without any carrier bloat. My biggest fear is that certain carriers such as AT&T and Verizon will see the improved battery and RAM usage as a green light to increase the amount of revenue generating bloatware, yet again. Been on Marshmallow for around 6 weeks now and have not been tempted to revert to Lollipop. :D

Here is a video review by MixTech...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0t_ow9y2b0

Here is another glimpse by Toxic Dragonz...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReAJMIBb0Ys

sayf777

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Haha before I entered the thread I taught "ironass must've already replied."

Good to know about the fingerprint scanner, still a bit troublesome for me on 5.0.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Ironass, are you running a developer version? Or is the official release out?

It was an OTA release to those on Product Code BTU, United Kingdom, unbranded on the international G900F model. It was withdrawn a few days later. I'm guessing that Samsung wanted to get S6 out first, before S5. Samsung have been noted for pushing out these pre-releases in the past to selected, unbranded, phones.

For more information on models and Product Codes, see 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

For those who have the international model, G900F, you can download and install the stock Samsung Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, now on unrooted devices by carefully reading and following the instructions in... [DEV][CPB2][ODIN/ROM] S5/S6 Marshmallow 6.0.1 Installation Guide & Download [18/2]. This is for competent and experienced users and will prevent future updates OTA or via Samsung Kies/Smart Suite until you flash the stock firmware for your CSC & Product Code.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, that feature is pointless and a performance inhibitor.

Posted from AC on Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V
Only because the MicroSD card slot is artificially slow. There are MicroSD cards out there that could keep up with internal storage, if the phone weren't holding them back speedwise.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Meh. I'm not in so much of a hurry that I want to hand over ownership of my sd card and its function to Google. I don't mind if my card is artificially slow and isn't as fast as others assume it should be. It works just fine the way it is for me.

Give an inch you'll lose a mile.

Heck, I once knew a guy that worked for a company for 20 years. One day they gave him a helper because the boss didn't think he was working fast enough even though the guy was still working beyond scope of production. Next thing you know, the helper took over the job and the guy that worked there for 20 years wasn't any longer allowed on the floor in the capacity that he was before. As a new condition of his employment he was relegated to just standing around holding stuff at the direction of his helper. Problem. Reaction. Solution.

But yeah. Good thinking on Samsung's part to see ahead and remove support for it.

Last edited:

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
My question is feature wise
Did Marshmallow give you a new version of Touchwiz?

Do you gave the Theme Store?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't.

Why not just make it optional? Why remove it completely?

I'd rather have options than have Samsung pick and choose which Stock Android options I'm not allowed to have access to.

My guess is it caused more problems than it was worth in development. Also, if people enable it and then there phone is slow - they might forget that's enabled and gripe about the phone being slow.

Again I still stand by that it's a pointless feature especially if you install apps on the SD card. When you update them, they're moved back to internal storage, just like it is now. What's the point of treating the SD like internal storage in this case if you're still having to manually manage storage usage.

Posted from AC on Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V

ApprenticeSecond72

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Having gotten my first Samsung device, the S5 just a little before the switch to marshmallow was made, I have to say the difference was very noticeable and very good. Battery lasts much longer than it used to. With Verizon, though, there is tons of bloatware. Most of which I can easily disable, though, so, not too big a deal.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Meh. I'm not in so much of a hurry that I want to hand over ownership of my sd card and its function to Google. I don't mind if my card is artificially slow and isn't as fast as others assume it should be. It works just fine the way it is for me.

But yeah. Good thinking on Samsung's part to see ahead and remove support for it.
Are there people on the internet who are actually opposed to phone purchasers being able to seamlessly expand the internal storage*? Yes, apparently there are. I guess you really can find any interest or opinion on the internet...

* Samsung Mobile's finance department would normally be champing at the bit to upsell us on more storage, except that the only capacity they've announced for the S7 and S7 Edge is 32GB.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Are there people on the internet who are actually opposed to phone purchasers being able to seamlessly expand the internal storage*? Yes, apparently there are. I guess you really can find any interest or opinion on the internet...

* Samsung Mobile's finance department would normally be champing at the bit to upsell us on more storage, except that the only capacity they've announced for the S7 and S7 Edge is 32GB.

It's not truly seamless...again, apps that reside on the SD card will be moved back to internal storage when updated. If the adopted storage were truly seamless, this would not be necessary.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Are there people on the internet who are actually opposed to phone purchasers being able to seamlessly expand the internal storage*?

I'm of the position that individuals or groups of individuals should be and are free to organize in a manner of their choosing, so long as it does not prevent others from equally doing the same.

With regard to manufacturers, content providers and consumers, individuals or groups of individuals should be and are free to exchange in trade without restriction provided they are honest in their dealings. Provided that the consumer is of the position to dictate the actions of the market as opposed to the market dictating the actions of the consumer, things will work out just fine. That's the beauty of the free market. If it is allowed to function the way that it is designed to function we won't have any market manufactured coinkidinks.

Anyway. I suppose we're fading slightly off topic. I guess.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance