Wondering why my GS5 not receiving monthly security updates?

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Seems like Samsung has been releasing monthly security maintenance updates for January, February and March but I haven't seen a single one and it's going on April.

Is there a reason that I don't know about that I'm not receiving them? My device is an unlocked SM-G900W8. I was under the impression that these updates came straight from Samsung and that monthly security maintenance updates meant they'd actually be released monthly. Did I maybe receive bad/incorrect information that these updates would come directly from Samsung and would, in fact, be monthly?

Is everyone else getting them? Because I'm not.

Last edited:

steven dawe

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I had a march security update recently its the 1st ive had since last october 2015.ive got the g900f uk unbranded.i was worried that my phone had developed a fault but trusted sources told me its upto date.when we get marshmallow i hope samsung follows up with security and stability updates for a while as marshmallow will probably be the last big update.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The G900W8 models of Galaxy S5 are all carrier branded models for Canada and updates are at the discretion of the carriers concerned. The international G900F model, (both unbranded and lightly branded), has had the February security update rolling out to its 200 firmwares since the end of February. Both AT&T and Verizon have also had the update as well. For more information on the various Galaxy S5 models, see 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

My unbranded, worldwide, G900F for the U.K. has received 9 updates in the last year, (10 if you include Marshmallow), whilst the Canadian carrier branded models have had only 5 updates and none in the last 151 days.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The G900W8 models of Galaxy S5 are all carrier branded models for Canada and updates are at the discretion of the carriers concerned.

Respectfully, you told me the polar opposite elsewhere when I had asked...

Unlike the AT&T and Verizon updates that you must be on their network to receive, the Canadian carrier branded models are updated via Samsung and your network is not an issue. Providing the phone has never been rooted and is running the correct firmware for its CSC and Product code, it will receive an update when one is released.

So, which is it? The former or the latter? If you don't know, it's okay. I don't expect you to have the answers to everything. I'm just naturally curious as to why you'd tell me two completely different things. If you don't really know I'd rather you just tell me that you don't know instead of leading me to believe one thing only to turn around and provide contradictory information later. Noobs like me get confused when we're trying to learn things and are led astray like that.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Respectfully, you told me the polar opposite elsewhere when I had asked.

So, which is it? The former or the latter? If you don't know, it's okay. I don't expect you to have the answers to everything. I'm just naturally curious as to why you'd tell me two completely different things. If you don't really know I'd rathr you just tell me that you don';t know instead of leading me to believe one thing only to turn around and provide contradictory information later. Noobs like me get confused when we're trying to learn things and are led astray.

Both are correct. AT&T and Verizon release their own updates. Samsung release the G900W8 updates when received from the carriers involved. No mystery. Even security updates need to be integrated into a carrier's firmware. This has been the case since the Galaxy S2 onwards. As per 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

"carrier branded firmwares and, "bugfix", and security updates can vary by model and carrier."

Hope that helps.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I don't know. Worst case, I'll just flash it.

Heck, I can even flash a G900F rom onto the 900W8 and just mess around with finding the right modem. G900W8 was designed to be a true international version anyway and can legitimately function all over the globe whereas the G900F won't work with carriers/bands in the US where I am.

I won't do that but I could if I wanted and it'd work just fine aside from the limited band support for the US on the part of the G900F.

Technically, my G900W8 isn't branded in any way in terms of any kind of custom carrier operating system. All it has on it is a Fido "My Account" app tha ttakes you to their web page to sign in and check your bull if you have an account with them. Which I don't.

The OS on my G900W8 is pure Android aside from Touchwiz. Which is kind of where a lot of my confusion comes from as far as Operating system updates. There really is no custom carrier add-ons to the operating system itself.

I'll keep this thing for a long time and get a lot of great use out of it and be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jannel91