6.0 no option to format sd card as internal storage?

joharr79

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Just downloaded marshmallow, excited to be able to use my sd card as internal storage. However, I don't see that option. Is this a Sprint thing or S5 thing? Am I missing the location on how to do this? When I go to format the sd card, it only shows format as portable storage. Gah, so frustrating. My phone consistently runs out of space because I like lots of apps and 16gb just doesn't seem to cut it.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It is a Samsung thing. Apparently you haven't been paying close enough attention. Samsung is not enabling that feature on their phones - this also includes the latest new S7s.

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Samsung took out to UI for enabling adoptable storage, but it can be done using adb just like on the S7. Search "Here's how to configure adoptable storage on your S7 / S7 Edge" and the first link is the modaco site with instructions on how to do it.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
External SD card cant store most apps. So by formating the SD card to internal storage, you can download more apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sorry - but if the app developer doesn't allow for apps to run from the SD card, then treating the SD card as internal storage doesn't matter. It still won't allow for the app to be moved to the SD card.

This is why treating SD cards as internal storage is stupid. It also reduces your phones performance to the speed of your card, which isn't as fast as internal storage.

Treat the card as its own entity and just move whatever apps are allowed over to the card, and be sure to move them back when updated.

Very annoying feature of Android...but it is a developer decision to allow an app to be moved to an SD card.

ejis

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
This is why treating SD cards as internal storage is stupid. It also reduces your phones performance to the speed of your card, which isn't as fast as internal storage..
..Very annoying feature of Android...but it is a developer decision to allow an app to be moved to an SD card.
This thread is coming up on top of the google searches regarding adoptive storage and marshmallow, so I'm bumping it for the sole purpose that many other people will be looking to this thread for answers.

I don't personally know the catch-all answer to this question, but using a rooted device with "adb shell sm set-force-adoptable true" function should work for most I would imagine. The question is, is there an answer for those that don't wish to root their device?

And BlurryEyed, stop spreading fear and misinformation regarding this topic. Almost all of your responses are incorrect. Regarding adoptive storage, it is not the developer's decision to allow an app to be moved to the SD card. Treating an SD card as internal storage in situations where the user thinks it's the best option is NOT "stupid".

Yes if a developer is skilled enough he can maneuver his app from landing on an adoptive storage SD card, but 99% of app development tools won't effect this and the other almost all of the remaining 1% of developers wouldn't take the extra time coding to prevent their users from doing so.

Opus131

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
This is why treating SD cards as internal storage is stupid. It also reduces your phones performance to the speed of your card, which isn't as fast as internal storage.

Only for stuff that's on the SD card, right?

I'm looking at this as an option since apparently you can't move apps to SD without root. I mean it says you can but it really doesn't move any of the big data files, just a few megabytes worth of crap (brilliant idea there, Google).

Out of curiosity, how do i turn this on with an LG V10?

qarliv

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a S5 and followed the instructions using the 'sm partition disk' command. It all apparently works but the phone still announces that it has insufficient memory when I try to install a new application or just update existing ones.
The 32 GB SD card is not shown in 'My Files' but doesn't seem to be used as internal storage.
Any ideas what else can be done?

rtfelt

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my S5. I partitioned my sd card, so some is still listed as "Portable Storage" with the SD card, but the "Internal Storage" still only has 16GB with another line within the device storage section as "SD Card". I still get "not enough memory" when I'm trying to install apps, even though the portion of the SD I partitioned for adoptive storage still had over 20GB on it. What can I do?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
It is not truly "internal" storage guys...If app developers don't want their apps on the sd cards for performance reasons, then they code the app as such and prohibit it, even if your sd card is formatted as internal storage.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry - but if the app developer doesn't allow for apps to run from the SD card, then treating the SD card as internal storage doesn't matter. It still won't allow for the app to be moved to the SD card.

Treat the card as its own entity and just move whatever apps are allowed over to the card, and be sure to move them back when updated.

Very annoying feature of Android...but it is a developer decision to allow an app to be moved to an SD card.
Thank God Microsoft took this decision out of the hands of short-sighted developers. When you add an SD card to a Microsoft Lumia phone, it adds to the internal storage and apps have no idea where they are located. There is ZERO performance hit and everything just works as it should.

If Samsung chose to put a slow SD card reader in their phones, or people buy counterfeit or slow SD cards off eBay, then how is that Android's fault? And as long as Samsung keeps shipping phones with less than 24GB of available storage after Samsung and Carrier bloatware, users will need to be able to expand the storage.

gm310509

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
IMHO Samsung have made a monumental error in judgement - an error that they are not entitled to make.

By taking this decision they have turned my Galaxy Tab S into little more than an expensive dinner table placemat (it's too small and light to be a boat anchor!).
I use lots of apps and very little video / photos on my Galaxy Tab S (16GB internal RAM model). Pre v6 of android I have put lots of apps onto my SD card as that is the only way I could install them all - it is a pain to keep up to date, but it worked. By removing the option to use my SD Card as internal adoptable storage I can no longer fit all my apps on my tablet (when they upgrade they seem to move into the internal 16GB).

Samsung have *no right* to decide on my behalf nor everyone else's behalf to not provide the option to use an SD card as internal (Adoptable) storage. If they want to recommend not to use it, that's fine, but don't disallow the option and turn my Galaxy tab S into a fancy placemat. To me this is about as smart as the battery design of the Galaxy 7 mobile phone.

Bobby Bile

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I am experiencing the same thing on the Galaxy Tab A. Like you, I'm glad Microsoft isn't doing this and it is making me go back to my HP Tablet.

Deriek3

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Many apps can be moved to SD card without needing to adopt the SD card to internal storage.

Yes but only the app. Not the data or updates. This new version basically undercuts the model of pay more for more internal memory at time of purchase. Samsung is not ready to let go of this cash cow. Would you buy a lap top or desktop without the option of upgrading the memory after purchase?

Deriek3

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Don't care. Even if it creep like dial-up at least it's the when I need it. And no more asking me which app is less important to me.

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime SM-G532F running marshmallow. I also only get the 'format' not 'format as internal' as described on other sites as a fix for adding storage.
The internal memory is just 8gb and i have a virtually useless 64Gb SD card installed. I installed just 6 apps and with the pre-installed apps it filled the internal storage to almost 98%.

I cannot install any apps to the SD or move them to the SD. Other than saving photos to the SD card what's the point if you cannot at least move some apps to the SD albeit if it runs slower?

I checked out the various workarounds which involved 'rooting' the device but i completely bolloxed up my phone doing this and had to reset the phone using Odin TWICE! This has invalidated the warranty and Samsung cannot support now. What choice do we have? try workarounds like this which invalidate warranties or just keep uninstalling apps to make room for others!

if anyone has any suggestions for this particular model (SM-G532F) I should be very grateful - i already tried Kingo, SuperSU and they all bolloxed my phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar