BUG: In 6.0.1 smart stay wont turn off unless auto screen rotation is also off!

Beam Brand

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
My S5 has a peculiar bug: the Smart Stay indicator (eye icon) keeps appearing in the notification bar as if the Smart Stay function was enabled, however it is off. This wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that every time the eye icon appears, my phone becomes incredibly laggy, to the point where it is practically unresponsive.
I've done a lot of reading around the Internet, and found that this bug has occurred in other phones in the past. The #1 recommendation to fix the issue is to turn off auto screen rotation, which does indeed fix the bug. Is anyone else having this problem, and is there any other way to fix the problem without sacrificing valuable features (such as auto screen rotation)? Thx guys.

kemersonIA

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0.1 Galaxy s5 smart stay wont turn off unless auto screen rotation is also off

I have the same exact issue - drives me nuts. I don't want to turn off screen rotation either. Hopefully someone posts some info.

anon(258826)

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0.1 Galaxy s5 smart stay wont turn off unless auto screen rotation is also off

I had been noticing this problem for a while with my VZW S5 running Lollipop before the Marshmallow update, possibly since the last security update. Will try disabling Screen Rotate to see if the annoying Smart Stay icon at least stays away, but would be curious if anyone discovers another fix. I may just try a hard reset at some point just to clean the phone up.

kristasdca

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue except when the smart stay icon is up, my screen is completely unresponsive to anything. I don't want to turn off auto rotation, so now what?

Fishh3ad

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
On my S5 (recently updated to Marshmallow), I go to the Screen Rotation settings and uncheck 'Smart rotation' (Smart rotation attempts to orient the display with your face). This does not disable auto screen rotation.

Hope this helps.:D

Jeanette b wickham

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
My S5 has a peculiar bug: the Smart Stay indicator (eye icon) keeps appearing in the notification bar as if the Smart Stay function was enabled, however it is off. This wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that every time the eye icon appears, my phone becomes incredibly laggy, to the point where it is practically unresponsive.
I've done a lot of reading around the Internet, and found that this bug has occurred in other phones in the past. The #1 recommendation to fix the issue is to turn off auto screen rotation, which does indeed fix the bug. Is anyone else having this problem, and is there any other way to fix the problem without sacrificing valuable features (such as auto screen rotation)? Thx guys.

IAmLearningthat smart stayCan beAddedW/oYourKnowledgeR permissionBY hackers!

Last edited by a moderator:

xheathen

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Fishh3ead-This fix worked! And I still have screen rotation! Best suggestion ever. I was about to have a fit with all the screen freezing every time I tried to do anything! Thanks!

Last edited:

wendybird h

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
On my S5 (recently updated to Marshmallow), I go to the Screen Rotation settings and uncheck 'Smart rotation' (Smart rotation attempts to orient the display with your face). This does not disable auto screen rotation.

Omg, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I had this same problem ever since Marshmallow update (that I never authorized btw!) The problem is fixed & so far my phone is no longer lagging!! I never knew there was a 2nd rotation check box inside of the 1st one!

Jaydubious

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site

Unchecked smart rotation and that did the trick. THANK YOU SO MUCH

I.M. DUBIOUS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49