Kies is locked

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I have updated my S5 from Verizon to Marshmallow 6.0.1. By accident I unmounted my SD card. Yes I did reformat it. Now I'm trying to put my photos back on my phone by using Kies. Kies is saying "the connected device is locked". Please enter password on the connect device. I have a swipe pattern lock. So.....how do I unlock my phone to use Kies? Thank you.

Last edited:

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I finally figured it out. Marshmallow sure is different in some ways. It's taking some time to figure out some of these new settings. Anyway.....in case anyone is interested in how I unlocked Kies3.......On your phone go to settings>>developer options>>USB configuration>> and change it to MTP Media Transfer Protocol. YEAH!!!!!!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done that on my Note 5, but in the notification shade, one of the Marshmallow items allows to change from charging to file transfers. It's a change that doesn't stick, which security wise, can be a good thing.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I haven't done that on my Note 5, but in the notification shade, one of the Marshmallow items allows to change from charging to file transfers. It's a change that doesn't stick, which security wise, can be a good thing.

On my Verizon S5 I can't find that option in my notification shade. When I go to settings and click on Notification Panel that option is not there. When I use Kies to back up my phone I now have to use my phone and go to settings>>developer options>>USB configuration and change it from there. That is a pain in the butt to have to do these extra steps. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
On my Verizon S5 I can't find that option in my notification shade. When I go to settings and click on Notification Panel that option is not there. When I use Kies to back up my phone I now have to use my phone and go to settings>>developer options>>USB configuration and change it from there. That is a pain in the butt to have to do these extra steps. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It might be a difference between AT&T and Verizon. For me, that notification comes up when the device is plugged into a PC, and I pull the notification shade down. It's toward the bottom.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
It might be a difference between AT&T and Verizon. For me, that notification comes up when the device is plugged into a PC, and I pull the notification shade down. It's toward the bottom.

Ahhhhh.......got you. I only used Kies yesterday which said my device was locked (finally figured that out as stated above). Ok I will try Kies again later this afternoon and see if the notification shows up. Thank you Golfdriver97!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhhh.......got you. I only used Kies yesterday which said my device was locked (finally figured that out as stated above). Ok I will try Kies again later this afternoon and see if the notification shows up. Thank you Golfdriver97!

No sweat...but you don't need to open Kies to test this; you should just be able to plug it into your PC. I don't have Kies on my PC, and I get that notification all the time.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
No sweat...but you don't need to open Kies to test this; you should just be able to plug it into your PC. I don't have Kies on my PC, and I get that notification all the time.

Ok Golfdriver97. Will test your suggestion later this afternoon and I'll let you know. Off to an Archery class up at our Metro Parks.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok Golfdriver97. Will test your suggestion later this afternoon and I'll let you know. Off to an Archery class up at our Metro Parks.

Hi Golfdriver97. Just tried what you said....and......yes it worked just like you stated. Many thanks for your help!! :)

LPC123

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
On my version, developer options, you have to find the "Networking" section, then "USB Configuration" then change to MTP. Yes, you have to do that every time you run Kies 3 (apparently). They need to fix that!