Kies only backs up only certain items since Marshmallow update

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I have the Verizon S5 which now has Marshmallow 6.0.1. Attached is a screen shot of my options to unlock Kies.
Screenshot_2016-06-05-10-32-41.jpg

When I open Kies I need to choose one of those options in the screen shot. So what option in that screen shot do I want? I want to back up my S5.

Once I unlock Kies.....( I choose file transfer) I have the Content checked and also the Account information & Setting is checked. When I do a back up the only items that are backed up are: Contacts...S Planner...Message...Music...Photos. I have every item checked off to back up. There is a message that states: "backing up data in the private storage is not supported". So the items that won't back up are" call log...home screen...alarm...location service...wi-fi...voice memo...lock screen...ringtone...email account information...memos.

On Lollipop and using Kies everything was backed up and I had to issues. Now with Marshmallow I can't back up everything. What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Kies has always been a mess. Download and install Smart Switch from Samsung instead. It does more than what Kies does (it's the "replacement" for Kies). Kies also backs up into a big "blob" that you can't look into (think iTunes backup).

Smart Switch will back everything up (except for what's in your Google account because that's on the web anyway). It will also create folders that you can actually go into on your computer to see the files (pictures, video, etc...).

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Kies has always been a mess. Download and install Smart Switch from Samsung instead. It does more than what Kies does (it's the "replacement" for Kies). Kies also backs up into a big "blob" that you can't look into (think iTunes backup).

Smart Switch will back everything up (except for what's in your Google account because that's on the web anyway). It will also create folders that you can actually go into on your computer to see the files (pictures, video, etc...).

Thank you so very much can3gxw!! Downloaded Smart Switch and everything went well. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze