How do I get my galaxy s5 to sync with Windows Media Player?

HallowWolf

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I just installed the marshmallow upgrade yesterday, and now when I connect my phone to my computer, the phone shows up in the list of connected devices, but when I click on it, it says the folder is empty, where before I had a choice of either internal or external storage, and then a number of folders inside of each. It does not show up at all in Windows Media Player.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! When you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon. Make sure MTP or File Transfer is selected. With Marshmallow, most devices default to Charge Only.

Also, I find that Android devices generally don't sync well with Windows Media Player, if at all. I usually use Windows Explorer to drag and drop music files to the phone's Music directory, maintaining the standard folder hierarchy of Artist>Album>Song.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
To expound upon B. Diddy's answer... On my Galaxy S5 with Lollipop (5.1) when I'd connect via USB, and then click on "My Computer", I'd see the phone. And if I clicked on that it would show the phone's internal storage and the SD-card. But when I upgraded to Marshmallow, (6.0.1) it drove me up the wall because when I connected the phone to the PC via USB, I'd have to click the "Allow MTP connection" (on the phone's pop-up screen) every freaking time that I connected via USB if I wanted to access the files via PC. (Otherwise the PC couldn't see the phone's storage.) It drove me up the wall. I love Marshmallow, but I HATED that. Here's how I solved it...

By the way, there is an awesome Xposed module called XtouchWiz, which has a whole bunch of tweaks available. One of the tweaks is the ability to run any app in mult-window mode. (So now I can run Waze and Pandora split screen while I drive. Very happy.) Marshmallow+Xposed+NoUSBNotification+XtouchWiz has made my Galaxy S5 perfect. There's basically nothing on my wish list. No desire to upgrade to S7, etc.

AFAIK, unfortunately, there has never been a way to sync your music collection and playlists to Android using Windows Media Player (WMP). If you "sync" using the "Sync" tab on Windows Media Player, it will copy the songs in your WMP playlist to your Android device.

Fortunately, you can just copy the contents of your PC's "Music" folder (which contains your WMP playlists) to your Android Music folder.

If you use MediaMonkey for Windows on your PC, and MediaMonkey for Android, you can automatically sync your music collection and playlists, one-way or bidirectionally.
http://androidforums.com/threads/me...-sync-solution-like-itunes-but-better.852296/

Last edited:

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome back! When you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon. Make sure MTP or File Transfer is selected. With Marshmallow, most devices default to Charge Only.

Also, I find that Android devices generally don't sync well with Windows Media Player, if at all. I usually use Windows Explorer to drag and drop music files to the phone's Music directory, maintaining the standard folder hierarchy of Artist>Album>Song.

Thanks for your great answer. It resolved my issue as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The appearance can differ with the device, but in general, when you connect via USB to your computer, there should be some option that appears in the notification panel when you swipe it down. It might be a notification with a USB icon, or it might just be some message telling you to tap there if you want to change the USB connection option.