Need help ASAP: update failed, even after factory reset

Nooblet

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S5 on Verizon running lollipop. My phone previously failed the update due to lack of space. I uninstalled a lot of apps to free up about 3.4 GB of space. When I went to check for software updates it said phone was up to date even though it wasn't. I then did a factory reset and checked again for updates --- still says phone is up to date. Any idea how to fix this? Maddening that even with the reset it still won't work.

Not sure it's relevant but I backed up apps, data, etc. to the SD card using Samsung Smart Switch before I did the reset.

Just tried using Kies on my PC to force the update and Kies says the phone has the latest firmware. Which it doesn't. *SIGH*

Many thanks for the help, folks ! ! :-$

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you refuse an update, or if it fails, sometimes you have to wait a few days or weeks for the OTA to come again, since you might get pushed to the end of the queue.

Also, see if Samsung Smart Switch allows you to update the firmware. (I thought Kies isn't entirely compatible with more recent Samsung phones.)

combat82

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
It'll give you more headaches honestly...I would stay on lollipop til a newer update is available

Posted via the Android Central App

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
+1 for B. Diddy's suggestion - dump KIES and use Smart Switch. I find that works a lot better for everything than KIES ever did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks