GS5 on T-Mobile: after Marshmallow OTA update, incoming texts crash Messages ("has stopped")

sharksnut

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
GS5 on T-Mobile: after Marshmallow OTA update, incoming texts crash Messages ("has stopped")

GS5 on T-Mobile: after Marshmallow OTA update, incoming texts crash Messages ("Unfortunately, Messages has stopped.")

This happens with most but not all inbound messages, (For example, the text from the TMobile Tuesdays signup always crashes it). Even text-only with no images can crash it.

Everything was fine until the OTA update to Marshmallow.

It's a built-in app on unrooted phone, so I can't just delete and reinstall.

I've tried rebooting, clearing cache and clearing data for Messages, all with no effect.

The local store just tells me to wipe the phone!

Right now, I'm trying wiping the cache partition. Any other advice?

Please help!

(Update: wiping cache also had no effect. Is there any way to force an update/reinstall of Messages?)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: GS5 on T-Mobile: after Marshmallow OTA update, incoming texts crash Messages ("has stopped")

Mod Note , I will move this to the to the s5 forum for more visibility

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: GS5 on T-Mobile: after Marshmallow OTA update, incoming texts crash Messages ("has stopped")

In case you had a bad OTA update you can download the stock Samsung firmware for the U.S. T-Mobile model, G900T, see below, and flash it via Odin to your phone by following the instructions and video contained in the links of #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Model SM-G900T
Model name GALAXY S5
Country USA (T-Mobile)
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 7500527
Build date Thu, 05 May 2016 07:17:09 +0000
Security Patch Level 2016-05-01
Product code TMB
PDA G900TUVU1GPE1
CSC G900TTMB1GPE1

sharksnut

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site

Update: I get the EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR when using Hangouts or Google Messenger as my default SMS app!

I also get the error when SENDING messages, but again sometimes and not always. (Sending to my other GS5 on TMobile/Lollipop works fine, but to some other users crashes it)

Some texts fail (e.g. every TMobile Tuesdays message) but not all, and I can't find any pattern to what will crash it and what won't.*)

ALSO: if I try to COMPOSE a message using Google Messenger to one of the "failing" numbers, instead of a composition page, I get "Could not start conversation." and a blank screen.

*The lone thing in common may be that this happens with numbers from whom I had not already previously had a text exchange before this month (or so), maybe back to the Marshmallow OTA update.

Last edited:

Lauryn Tillman

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site

Update: I get the EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR when using Hangouts or Google Messenger as my default SMS app!

I also get the error when SENDING messages, but again sometimes and not always. (Sending to my other GS5 on TMobile/Lollipop works fine, but to some other users crashes it)

Some texts fail (e.g. every TMobile Tuesdays message) but not all, and I can't find any pattern to what will crash it and what won't.*)

ALSO: if I try to COMPOSE a message using Google Messenger to one of the "failing" numbers, instead of a composition page, I get "Could not start conversation." and a blank screen.

*The lone thing in common may be that this happens with numbers from whom I had not already previously had a text exchange before this month (or so), maybe back to the Marshmallow OTA update.

I am having the same issue with my S5. Usually, it's whenever I'm getting sent a text code to unlock a password or join Tmobile Tuesdays. I don't want to wipe my phone over something so minor, but I do need those texted codes in most cases. Even when I clear out the cache and data, then restart, it does not work and the incoming texts don't come through.

android_n

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site

Same issue with T-Mobile Galaxy Note 5. And this was working fine. Here is what I have done:

1. Any of the SMS applications (even new ones that are downloaded) "could not start conversation" then a blank screen for contacts with I have never chatter before. Or if they are new contacts.

2. I downloaded Google Allo. And it was able to send the SMS to this new contact, and receive answers.

3. Unfortunately, outside of the application and SMS that can have access to the list of conversations, it does not work. Unless a pre-existing conversation is there.

This leads me to believe it is a bug with with some writing permissions, where the SMS apps cannot create a new "conversation".

Also done all of what has been suggested: Cleaning the Cache partitions, reset it many times, re-installed SMS apps (but the one that comes with the phone). Nothing seems to work.

If I can make a manual entry of the conversation I think this could be a workaround, until someone at Samsung fixes this bug.

-android_n

android_n

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site

I think I fixed this. My idea of getting to the SMS file DB put me in the right track, and then I started to think that such file could be corrupted. And so I decided to delete ALL my messages. At least that beats the one about Resetting the Phone to Factory...

Fortunately, there is a great tool to backup and restore SMS tool at Google Play store: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om/store/apps/d...Jlc3RvcmUiXQ&token=rzy4zrUN..
I got it from forum:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible-2/160911-where-sms-messages-stored.html

And so, after a backup. I decided to delete all my SMS. After that I was able to start conversations again with new contacts !!!

Now I am in the process of restoring. Hopefully the new SMS DB file will be in better shape, but if not. I guess deleting the messages will do. I will update my results.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad