Galaxy S5 Microphone Issue only when speaker mode is on. Appears to be software related.

sm0kie420

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Just got a new S5. Updated to the latest software.

The microphone is really good. I can even whisper to google now or S voice and it is very accurate. My speaker is also good when I do a regular phone call.

The problem is when I turn on speaker mode. Then people can't hear me anymore.

This problem also happens during skype video calls.

I think this is software related. The microphone appears to be just fine. For some reason activating speaker mode / video call just makes the microphone turn off or really really quiet (not sure).

I searched online and people said to disable google now and noise cancellation. I did that and it didn't fix anything. But this seems to be a widespread problem because I saw a A LOT of similar microphone issues.

Any advice? Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is your secondary mic blocked at all? The secondary mic should be at or near the top of the phone.

sm0kie420

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Hmm I don't think so. It is brand new out of the box. I flashed a light in the bottom and top holes and nothing appears to be blocking them. I did a factory reset and it's still happening. Great quality/volume when I speak during the regular phone mode, and now when I turn on speaker mode and shout into the mic, people can sort of hear me but barely.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's brand new, and not a refurb? The S5 is a relatively older phone, so I'm just wondering if it's truly brand new.

In any case, you should probably just bring it back to the store for an exchange. If they can't or won't, then contact Samsung for warranty repair/replacement.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm with B. Diddy... the S5 may be "fresh out of the box", but it's unlikely to be a brand new phone. The S5 is now over two years old so the chances that someone has some "brand new in box" is unlikely.

I would take it back or send it for service.

Ceej36

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem, and bought mine from the Vodafone shop a couple of months ago. I have no idea where I'd send mine for a replacement. I'd rather not have to do that, if there's another workaround. Tried some of the suggested fixes, tried the phone with the protective case removed but no difference, seems to only be an issue if I use speaker mode for conference calls. If I hold the phone up normally, usually it's okay. No blockages, no dust in the holes as it's too new. Couldn't find the noise reduction setting on my phone.

Device name: Galaxy S5 Neo
Model number: SM-G903F
Android version: 5.1.1
Android security patch level: 2015-12-01

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, and bought mine from the Vodafone shop a couple of months ago. I have no idea where I'd send mine for a replacement. I'd rather not have to do that, if there's another workaround. Tried some of the suggested fixes, tried the phone with the protective case removed but no difference, seems to only be an issue if I use speaker mode for conference calls. If I hold the phone up normally, usually it's okay. No blockages, no dust in the holes as it's too new. Couldn't find the noise reduction setting on my phone.

Device name: Galaxy S5 Neo
Model number: SM-G903F
Android version: 5.1.1
Android security patch level: 2015-12-01

Hello and welcome to Android Central Ceej36!

Just curious as to what your phone's Product Code is, as per #1.8 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide as most Vodafone Neo's have been upgraded to Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1.

nadjet

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
hi my S5 neo have the same issue when i send voice recording message or put on speakerphone the voice is so weak
my friend have the same phone and i asked him to try same thing and i found he have the same issue, this could be a software bug
but anyone could fix it?