How do I get the mic on my keyboard?

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
You know the little mic icon on the keyboard? For voice to text in messenger and voice searches. I use the Samsung default keyboard. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi;

Have you tried this?
Go to Settings.
Tap My device tab.
Scroll down to find Language and input, then tap it.
Check the box in the left side of Google voice typing to enable this option. Enable this option will make the Mic button available on your Samsung keyboard and vice versa.
Now, open an app that requires you to use keyboard, such as Messaging app.
On keyboard, long tap the key in the left side of Space bar. You should see the Microphone icon displayed in the pop up menu as one of available option.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
No, that didn't work for me, srfoot. Thanks anyway. I don't even have such option. I have Google Voice disabled, I think. I use the standard Samsung messenger/email/browser, so it doesn't seem like I should have to use Google voice for the mic to show up. Seems like Samsung Voice would be the option. But there is no option for a mic on the keyboard in the Samsung Keyboard settings.

Actually, I can't even change keyboards if I wanted to (which I don't want to). It won't let me change from the Samsung keyboard.

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi;
A couple questions:

1) you are on marshmallow

2) please attach a screenshot of your keyboard

3) If you go:settings/language and input/keyboards and input methods/Default and press on this, does it give you options?
is the default= Samsung keyboard?

under google voice typing, is it set for automatic?

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi;
A couple questions:

1) you are on marshmallow

2) please attach a screenshot of your keyboard

3) If you go:settings/language and input/keyboards and input methods/Default and press on this, does it give you options?
is the default= Samsung keyboard?

under google voice typing, is it set for automatic?

Hi, srfoot. Yes, I am running Marshmallow. I'm running it on the SM-G900W8 variant. I don't see a setting for Google voice typing. Is the mic on the Samsung keyboard dependent upon using Google voice typing? You can't make Samsung Voice work?

Anyway. Here's what I have...

2lqt51.jpg
2hqytfb.jpg
1o235w.jpg

Thanks!

Chelsea Cotterman

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Hey don't know if you were ever to figure it out, but this is what I did, I went to my settings; applications- then I went and found the "Google" app, I then clicked on it, notices it had been disAbled and I just had to enable it. ONE Love
Ps. Sorry I just happen to stumble upon this and couldn't help. Lol xo

Tobi_Phone

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I have a Motorola Droid Maxx my son dropped rocks on crackIng the screen. I had them replace the screen and thought wtf, replace the battery as well and I've had issues ever since.
At one point therear camera wasn't working (---that was a hardware issue. I took it back to the store where they replaced the battery they worked with it a little bit and we're able to get the rear camera working again.)
The back arrow key isn't working and the voice to text microphone was also totally gone, even after factory reset...I am bullheaded and trying to get everything back as it was.... No third party back space apps.
Where this might be helpful is I found a way to restore the voice to text microphone that doesn't appear on a forum.here's how I did it...pretty simple.

Settings->apps->Google keyboard->force stop and clear data.

After that I still don't have the microphone next to the number toggle on the keyboard, but I DO have it on the alternate spelling Bar at the top of the keyboard and it does work properly for the browser and texting.

I have to think there is a problem with the new version of that app and when I reset it keeps pulling newer versions of key apps in the setup or something. I thought this might be helpful to lots of folks.

Reeses1

May 25, 2018
Visit site
I am so glad to know someone else is trying to use their device's keyboard without involving Google. This forum, thanks rokemshokem, is helping me regain the privacy I so cherish and had lost by using Google and their Gboard. Thank you Tobi_Phone for the instructions on how to keep my typing to myself/my device. The microphone is a must have and why I used Gboard until now, when I discovered Google had my every keystroke and even my text messages had been saved to MyAccount, they were right there, stored on servers somewhere away from my control. And since nothing on the internet is 100% secure I can't trust that no one will ever see that info but me. My settings like location and voice record only when asked by touching the microphone were under attack and Chrome was even trying to open my webcam! I am making huge changes to all of mine and families device's. I will really miss having Google's services at my fingertips. Has anyone else had trouble controlling the privacy of selected personal information? Any suggestions for apps that will store info only on my device? Any suggestions on an alternative to Google Play services for safe app downloads?

Last edited:

jamesj24

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
I restored the missing microphone icon on my Samsung phone by using the Reset Settings button on the keyboard menu. The menu path is:

Settings/General Management/Language and Input/Virtual Keyboard/Samsung Keyboard/Reset Settings

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21