Brand new phone has skipped initial setup wizard?

TJBaldy

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just opened a brand new Samsung Galaxy S5 and it didn't take me through a setup wizard as I'd expected.

The phone came in a brand new case including the "sealed packaged" sticker which was untouched. The phone itself looks spotless and came with the plastic strips along the edges and on the screen.

I'm from the UK and bought the phone from Argos' official eBay account.

I have no doubt that it's brand new but for the life of me can't understand why the setup wizard didn't appear. The phone logged straight into the typical home screen with the normal Samsung menu. I work with phones and regularly set new ones up and I've NEVER had a new phone which didn't go through the setup wizard.

I've already Googled this but cannot find anything else like it. Has anybody else had this happen to them? I'm completely baffled!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it was set up for a demo? I've seen 'new' phones do that before, and yeah, they have all the stickers because they just test them over all the protective plastic. I'd obviously factory-reset the phone if it came like that just to be sure there's no one's data there.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Peel off all that plastic, then do like SpookDroid says - go to SETTINGS > BACKUP AND RESET > FACTORY DATA RESET

I wouldn't do a single thing (including ANY logins) on that phone until it's restored back to factory. Because you just never know.

TJBaldy

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hey both, thanks for your quick replies!

I planned on doing a factory reset but wanted to throw the question out there first before I did anything.

I had a quick look in the "data usage" section and I can see that the following apps have used data -
  • Smart Remote
  • Samsung Account

I would assume that it was used for some sort of testing because of those^^.

At least I feel a bit more re-assured now. Thanks again - I'm off to go play with my new toy :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci