Issue with Low Screen Brightness

wecanfly

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded my S5 to Marshmallow 6.0 and ever since then my phone's screen has been acting very strange when it's on the lowest screen brightness setting. It started as an annoying flickering where the screen would go a little darker and then lighter in rapid succession. If I left that go on for a while my phone would have this led green flash come on every minute or so. Since then it has progressively gotten worse. Now if I keep it on the lowest setting it will have this lined green overlay and a bright led green flashing over top of that. When I leave my phone for a long time (like when I wake up in the morning), my phone will flash either green or yellow and then be completely black no matter what the screen brightness was. I have to unlock my phone and turn the brightness up without seeing the screen and turn the brightness up all the way and then turn the screen off and on again. Occasionally when unlocking my phone will just flash green and just have a delayed time showing my lock screen. Any advice would be appreciated, this has only gotten worse over the past 2 weeks.

wecanfly

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the thread link I will look into the safe mode bit. The problem is my phone is only 6 months old and this only started happening when I switched to Android 6.0. I don't use a 3rd party screen app and I have never dropped my phone from a distance over 3 feet (and it has an otterbox defender). I really don't think this is a hardware issue, but if it keeps happening I will have to contact my local NTelos shop to see what they can do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Your last resort can always be to contact Samsung for warranty repair/replacement, as long as it's within a year of purchase (or 2 years, if you're in the EU, I think).

geppetto

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
It is a hardware problem and not related to the software update. One of our S5s had the same problem before the update. Samsung warranty service turned the phone around rather quickly. Back up everything, pull your SD card and battery. Contact Samsung support. I sent the phone via UPS to make sure I had tracking and a signature. Don't send the battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech