Bug leaves 900 million Android devices vulnerable to attack

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Researchers have discovered a bug in the chips used in more than 900 million Android phones that, if exploited, could give attackers access to a phone's settings, apps, camera and microphone.

Check Point has released an app that will scan your phone to see if it could contain the bug. Called QuadRooter Scanner, the app is available on the Google Play Store for free and will scan your phone then prompt you to take action if it finds a problem.

Check Point reported the four bugs to Qualcomm earlier this year, which classified them as "high risk" before releasing fixes and making sure that its future products don't contain the same problem. It is the responsibility of phone makers to release the fix to their customers.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.checkpoint.quadrooter&token=VfixoR23

S5 isn't on the list but I scanned with the app and it says I have all 4 vulnerabilities.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Google have issued patches for 3 of the 4 vulnerabilities mentioned and it is now down to the manufacturers and carriers to implement them. It seems that I am vulnerable to 2 of the 4 according to the Quadrooter scan but I'm not going to get too excited or lose any sleep over it as, like the Stagefright vulnerabilities, they are theoretical and not out in the wild.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
As long as you're not taking candy from strangers and pirating your APKs, you're pretty much guaranteed to be safe. Just more FUD. Read this.

QuadRooter vulnerability: 5 things to know about this Android security scare | Android Central

Seems like the author is strategically dismissive of the situation. Which I think is irresponsible and deceptive but most times when a major security flaw is found and reported, we see dismissive pieces written like this.

End of the day, the security flaw exists, it's a major security flaw, and it isn't patched in most cases. That's the reality of it, regardless of how the author chose to spin it.

Seems like a lot of folks who write these dismissive pieces naturally tend to flip the script in a way that minimizes the serious nature of a given issue while projecting the blame toward the end user.

Last edited:

sdeeter19555

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Google have issued patches for 3 of the 4 vulnerabilities mentioned and it is now down to the manufacturers and carriers to implement them. It seems that I am vulnerable to 2 of the 4 according to the Quadrooter scan but I'm not going to get too excited or lose any sleep over it as, like the Stagefright vulnerabilities, they are theoretical and not out in the wild.

[url]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/ironass01/quadrooter_zpsbasqkl1m.png[/URL]
I got all four...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463