Has my phone been hacked?

ThatsSean

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello, recently I've had 2 rather strange occurrences with my phone.

The first incident happened when I left my phone unlocked in my pocket (screen facing my lap) for a couple of minutes. When I checked it, it had sent a text to a contact containing garbled text like 'hjdsaf'. Before I put my phone in my pocket, I wasn't on any texting application, meaning somehow, my phone sensed the heat from my lap (I guess), navigated to the messaging application, scrolled a little bit to find the contact (because I last chatted with him a week ago so our conversation needed to scroll down a bit to be seen), and sent the text.

The second incident happened when, same thing, I left my phone unlocked in my pocket, screen facing my lap, for a couple of minutes. When I checked it later on, it had sent a image to my brother using Whatsapp. Before I put my phone in my pocket, I was on Whatsapp, chatting with a friend, where I sent an image. This image was the same as the one that was sent to my brother. This means my lap somehow selected the image from the conversation and forwarded it to my brother. If you've used WhatsApp, you'd probably know for this to occur by accident would be extremely unlikely, since WhatsApp double confirms with you if you would like to forward an image.

Additionally, both times in my pocket, my phone took 1 or 2 screenshots by itself, and this is extremely weird since, to do so, I would need to hold down the power button AND the home button. How is that even possible when the phone is in my pocket?

All of this seems really sketchy, so I scanned my phone twice with MalwareBytes and Avast, and they both said nothing was wrong. Also, these 2 incidences only happened when I put my phone in my pocket screen facing my lap. When I'm using it normally/lock my screen, everything's alright. So, what do you guys think? Were these incidences extremely coincidental, or is my phone compromised? I have not installed or downloaded anything sketchy, at least to my knowledge. Plus, even if I did, my two antiviruses would've probably picked them up.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Since you are leaving the device unlocked and facing your lap your body is causing it to unintentionally send messages. Kind of like the good ol' accidental call days when the phone would be placed in your back pocket. Since you scanned the device and nothing is detected you should be fine; however, to be extra safe you can perform a factory reset for the added piece of mind.

ThatsSean

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I believe everything is probably fine too, seeing as how this only happened twice, and twice I left my phone unlocked facing my lap. I shall stop doing that now, wouldn't want me sending weird stuff to my friends. Thanks for the quick reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome