Ways to Create more Space/Increase Speed on my Samsung Galaxy S5

pmsmith2032

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy S5 16 GB which are pretty useless at this point. When we originally purchased them we add 32 GB external cards which worked great. Since then many apps will now not allow us to download them to the external card causing issues with speed and overall storage. Is there a way to improve our current Samsung Galaxy S5s? For instance is there a way to delete all the bloatware off of them creating more storage space? Right now I can't even add any new apps because of lack of space (and I don't have games on it).

I did some more investigation and after moving some apps to my SD card I currently am using 12.90 of 16 GB of storage. Besides 5.46 GB of system memory (which I'm assuming can't be decreased), my apps are using 6.75 GB of internal data. U used Datasize explorer and here are a list of my biggest culprits:

Samsung text-to-speech engine 386.54 MB
Dialer Storage 339.50 MB
Google Play services 276.86 MB
Contact Storage 245.79 MB
Google App 243.66 MB
.thumbdata--1967290299 225.44 MB
.thumbdata--1763508120 224.77 MB
main.185.com.sixtostart.zombiesrunclient.obb 205.90 MB
Amazon Kindle 180.46 MB
Message+ 168.07 MB
Maps 166.50 MB
Google Play Music 123.70 MB
Amazon 118.31 MB
My Verizon 113.48 MB
Email 107.21 MB
Evernote 104.44 MB
Chrome 102.22 MB

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since then many apps will now not allow us to download them to the external card
Since running an app from the card was never designed as part of Android, many developers simply turn off that capability, instead of wasting time checking to make sure it works on many different phones.

causing issues with speed and overall storage.
The only speed difference is that running an app from the card is slower than running it from internal storage. Since the card isn't considered part of app storage (that it works with some apps is just a happy accident), that's not considered an option or a problem.

Is there a way to improve our current Samsung Galaxy S5s? For instance is there a way to delete all the bloatware off of them creating more storage space?
Root the phone, then delete what you want. (Be careful - if you delete the wrong files, the phone will stop working.)

Right now I can't even add any new apps because of lack of space (and I don't have games on it).
Strange - I'm not only a software junky, I install apps just to see how they should work, so I can help people having problems with them. I've never moved an app to my SD card, and I have almost 21GB (out of 32GB of total internal storage) free.

I did some more investigation and after moving some apps to my SD card I currently am using 12.90 of 16 GB of storage. Besides 5.46 GB of system memory (which I'm assuming can't be decreased), my apps are using 6.75 GB of internal data. U used Datasize explorer and here are a list of my biggest culprits:
Moving an app to the SD card doesn't always free up internal storage - it may actually decrease the amount of free internal storage. Apps are moved in pieces, and a link to the piece on the card is left in internal storage (a kluge, but as I said, Android was never meant to run apps from the card). If the piece moved is smaller than a link, you've just used up more storage than you saved.

You're looking at a LOT of pictures. Those you don't need every day can be kept on the cloud or a computer. (They should be anyway - EVERYTHING should ALWAYS be backed up.)

pmsmith2032

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Rukbat. What did you mean by your last statements about having a lot of pictures? All my pictures and videos are being saved to my SD card.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a 16 GB S5 and have 13.43 GB used. I have no issues with speed. I did back a while ago reset the phone to factory conditions and reloaded all apps (pain in the neck but I have always heard that is the best method of keeping the system running properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678