Unlock Phone Allows Removal of Bloatware Apps?

netmation

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon Galaxy S5 that is fully paid for so I am thinking I can go to Verizon to get it unlocked. From reading stuff I am confused if this unlocking refers to only simply allowing me to move the phone to another carrier, or does it also affect the ability to remove the forced use of bloatware apps?

What I am interested in doing is staying with Verizon but gaining the capability to delete various apps that will not uninstall. There are several apps that will not permanently uninstall, I can do a temp uninstall but they will then update again on the next google play update. And I am running constantly having to remove apps to gain more space. Thanks for any thoughts.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since it's a CDMA phone, "locking" consists mainly of the carrier having the phone in its database. (Verizon phones are unlocked.) If you try to put it on Sprint or Boost (a Sprint MVNO), it's not in their database, so they won't accept it.

To remove bloat, if the ploat is system apps, you need to root the ROM.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
You can't remove preinstalled apps unless you root.

What you can do though is "disable" them. This should be an option in the App Manager. Disable what you can, they will automatically be restored back to factory and you will see that the space will drop. Do this for the apps that you don't use and probably never will. I've done this with a bunch of Google apps like "Books".