SM-G900A - Hopeless Brick???

mazar83

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello everybody. Sorry if this has been covered on the forum before, but I'd really appreciate any input you might have about my situation.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) that appears to be totally bricked. Let me explain what happened and then, hopefully, you can tell me if I am right or wrong! Or things that I can try to determine if my phone is completely bricked.

So, it's my brother's phone. Apparently, the phone suddenly froze during use. It was unresponsive and he decided to remove the battery to get it to turn off. He didn't not try a hard power off by holding down the power button. Furthermore, he may have removed the battery during an OS update...

After replacing the battery, he could not get the phone to boot. In fact, the screen has been completely blank ever since removing the battery during the frozen state. When plugged in for charging the battery symbol doesn't appear. When connected via USB to a computer, it's not found/recognized.

Attempting to enter download mode using the down, home, and power button press combination does nothing.

It's my understanding that in its present state, the phone is unable to be reached by Odin or Kies.

What do you think?

Thanks and even if the situation is dire, I'd appreciate your thoughts/recommendations!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central mazar83

If you cannot enter Download mode there is nothing that you can do. Take the phone to either, an AT&T store or a Best Buy that has a Samsung rep, and ask them to flash it for you.

mazar83

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your help. That's kind of what I thought I would have to do. What do you think the chances are that the flash will be successful?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your help. That's kind of what I thought I would have to do. What do you think the chances are that the flash will be successful?

Pretty confident if it is a software problem... besides, it is your only option now.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"He didn't not try a hard power off by holding down the power button." Holding down the power button AND removing the battery do the same thing (holding down the power button simulates removing the battery) - and they're both a hard boot (as opposed to resetting the phone, which wipes out anything you've entered since the phone came out of the box).

"Furthermore, he may have removed the battery during an OS update..." That will brick the phone. Have him take it to a carrier company store and see if they can flash the update. If not, look in eBay for a JTAG service that handles S5s. (Flashing the phone without being able to get to the download screen can be difficult - or impossible.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463