New Samsung Galaxy s5 owner, and I'm having issues already >_<

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy s5 last week, and am having issues I am not sure how to fix. The first of which is overheating. Or so, phone apps say so. My phone was super hot, and was showing temps of 127 degrees F. I finally found how to disable sync, and uninstalled Facebook messanger (because it was showing as a problematic app), and it finally dropped to 97. I have no idea if that is ok or not, but my phone is warm. The only things running are the system processes, Avast, and a weather app. I need all of those. I force closed Facebook, and that helped some, too. Strange, because it was fine on the s3. Is 97 degrees ok? My app says it isn't, but I don't know how else I can lower the temperature.
The next issue is that it drains 5 percent just from turning on. Is it normal?
Finally, and I think this is the worst, my phone randomly kept shutting off at 20 percent all the way through 5 percent. I would turn my phone on, and it turned off when it started up. Sometimes, it'd restart by itself right after starting up. It turned off after a minute or so one time. Another time, it got to 15 percent while playing Pokemon Go, and just shut down. All with no warning. Was this from overheating, or is there something worse wrong? I didn't have this problem before, and all I did was install Pokemon Go that was different than the last time it dropped below 10 percent. Which as far as I know isn't bad.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Definitely seems like there is something keeping the cpu spun up. Since you just got it, I would make sure you get all applicable updates to the phone software, then do a factory reset and see if things settle down.

Really don't bother installing Antivirus programs (Avast), as they don't help any, and consume cpu cycles (and battery), unless you're getting applications from unsavory sites. Using m.facebook.com instead of the facebook app works great (Chrome even has notifications for facebook and other pages if you enable it)

The S5 has been out for quite a while. Was this purchased new or used? Either way, the battery may not be in very good condition. Sitting discharged in a box in the back of a warehouse is damaging, and if it was used, a lot of the charging cycles have probably been used up already.

Yangong

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I have the same issue. I am also S5 user and my device hot while talking to others. I thought with every device happen this. But didn't think that this a problem. What should I do now?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy s5 last week, and am having issues I am not sure how to fix. The first of which is overheating. Or so, phone apps say so. My phone was super hot, and was showing temps of 127 degrees F. I finally found how to disable sync, and uninstalled Facebook messanger (because it was showing as a problematic app), and it finally dropped to 97. I have no idea if that is ok or not, but my phone is warm. The only things running are the system processes, Avast, and a weather app. I need all of those. I force closed Facebook, and that helped some, too. Strange, because it was fine on the s3. Is 97 degrees ok? My app says it isn't, but I don't know how else I can lower the temperature.
The next issue is that it drains 5 percent just from turning on. Is it normal?
Finally, and I think this is the worst, my phone randomly kept shutting off at 20 percent all the way through 5 percent. I would turn my phone on, and it turned off when it started up. Sometimes, it'd restart by itself right after starting up. It turned off after a minute or so one time. Another time, it got to 15 percent while playing Pokemon Go, and just shut down. All with no warning. Was this from overheating, or is there something worse wrong? I didn't have this problem before, and all I did was install Pokemon Go that was different than the last time it dropped below 10 percent. Which as far as I know isn't bad.

Hello and welcome to Android Central Elise_Grimwald!

You do not mention which of the 42 models of Galaxy S5 that you have. See #1.2 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

The first thing you can try to solve your issue is to wipe your phone's cache partition as per #1.3 of S5 Update Problems - Dummies Guide

I am afraid that FaceBook is one of the top 10 battery and performance drainers, along with Spotify and Instagram. See post #1 of Battery, memory, data hogs... top 10

As ratsttam mentions, if your phone is brand new, there should be no problem with the battery but if it was bought used, then the battery is possibly over 2.5 years old and may need replacing. Also, I am not a big fan of anti-virus software as it is of dubious benefit and does not protect against the real malware threats.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central Elise_Grimwald!

You do not mention which of the 42 models of Galaxy S5 that you have. See #1.2 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

The first thing you can try to solve your issue is to wipe your phone's cache partition as per #1.3 of S5 Update Problems - Dummies Guide

I am afraid that FaceBook is one of the top 10 battery and performance drainers, along with Spotify and Instagram. See post #1 of Battery, memory, data hogs... top 10

As ratsttam mentions, if your phone is brand new, there should be no problem with the battery but if it was bought used, then the battery is possibly over 2.5 years old and may need replacing. Also, I am not a big fan of anti-virus software as it is of dubious benefit and does not protect against the real malware threats.

Thanks for the welcome! :)
My s5 is model
SM-G900P. I didn't know there was a difference before. ^^;. Sorry about that.

I'll try the cache wipe, and be sure to uninstall the Facebook app and Avast. I had no idea until I got this phone they took up so much space in the background. >_<

As for my phone being new or not, I bought a phone that was supposed to be one of those quick returns, or a display model, so it was supposed to be basically new. It had no scratches or any of that stuff on it. Because it was a floor model or return, is the battery still possibly an issue? It could possibly have been sitting for 2.5 years in a warehouse somewhere, and I have read that these kinds of batteries deteriorate anyway.

Rattstam--I am pretty sure I have all the updates, but I will check. The temp app I have on my phone says I have 40-50 percent of the cpu in use, and the ram fluctuates between 40-70 percent. But I still have Facebook and Avast, so I'll check again after they're gone.
Edit: that helped with the ram and cpu issue a lot. I kind of wonder if my sd card is a culprit. I have apps that can't be used on there, and I wonder if that is an issue?
It hasn't shut down randomly since I charged my phone, but it's 63 percent right now, and that's not where the problem came at.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I did so a few hours ago, and it looks like my sd card is what it claims to be, luckily. I am kind of wondering if there was a phone issue yesterday, or if it was overheating after all. So far, so good. It's at 52 percent, but hasn 't had issues. But I'll see. I didn't do a cache wipe quite yet, as I'm waiting to be home so I can follow the steps from another device. I wish they made it easier lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow