Phone went from being near dead at 7% to showing 23% when I plugged it into my charger?

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Today, I turned off my phone when it said 7 percent and left it off until I could get to a charger. When I went to charge it however, it showed my battery was 23 percent--which is certainly impossible. I even got that 'connect' message.
Is this a normal thing with S5s, or am I due to replace my battery? The phone was supposed to be new, but I have heard that batteries do go bad. If I have to buy another battery, are the oem batteries on Amazon really the OEM batteries? I do have a backup the company that sold me the phone gave me, but it is an off brand and I've heard oem batteries are the only good ones.
The model is the Sprint one.
Thanks in advance!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. It sounds like a dendrite (which means that the battery has to be replaced). See Lithium Battery Dendrite links if you want to learn about dendrites.

2. Some 3rd party batteries are better than the OEM equivalent, some are worthless - or worse. About the only ones I can find on Amazon at the moment, that are known quality, are the OEM batteries - and, yes, they really are the OEM batteries. (If you can find an Anker battery for the S5, I actually prefer them for long life but, as with any lithium battery, that only holds true if you charge them when they drop to 40% to 50%. Constantly getting the last ounce of current out of a lithium battery can kill it in a few months.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the battery life otherwise normal? If so, the battery itself is probably fine. You could try recalibrating the battery sensor software by charging up to 100%, then using it normally until the phone shuts off from low battery, then charge back up to 100% again.

There's really no way to know if all batteries advertised as OEM online are truly OEM. It's always possible the seller could be dishonest, or it might be their supplier. Pay attention to the seller's reviews, and make sure they have a good return policy.

EDIT: Rukbat beat me to the punch! Hey Rukbat, I thought with dendrites, the battery graph should suddenly fall off a cliff. If Elise's battery drained normally down to 7%, then she noticed this odd behavior where it was suddenly reading 23% after plugging in again, would that also be due to a dendrite?

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Dendrites are nasty sounding and looking, after reading about them. Thanks for the answers. :). It seems ok today, but this isn't the first odd battery occurance that has happened (I had it shut off randomly on the second charge at 15 percent and it wouldn't work until it was charged. Well, it turned on, but the phone only stayed on a minute before shutting down again with no warning). It also randomly dropped to 92 percent after turning my phone on after a charge, and one day dropped quickly to 70 percent after a charge. Within 20 minutes of browsing Chrome. D:. I'll get a new battery then, for sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary