Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) won't update. Device and software discrepancy!!??

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I've trawled here, there and everywhere for a few days now, but info I have managed to find so far is becoming more fragmented and I'm kinda stuck now as it's getting a little confusing. I'd rather run this by some Android experts​ like yourselves at this point before trying something myself and going from bad to worse!! Am hoping an Android expert could please help in one place, list possible options to hopefully give me the confidence of what to possibly do next. Will provide as much info and keep as short as I possibly can.

I specifically wanted an S5 as obviously S6 or newer no longer has removable SD or batteries and with my difficult and dire life circumstances, I really needed a phone that had those options. Unfortunately, it's stuck on the stock 4.2.2 KitKat OS.

No OTA update and Kies/Smart Switch no joy to update at all either. Smart Switch correctly recognses new phone as a Galaxy S5 and I'm 95% certain it's genuine from tests I have done so far. Get the same error everytime, "The latest updates have already been installed". (USB is set to AP and the USB settings are MTP + ADB).

I recently purchased my "New authentic unlocked / SIM free Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) from an Amazon UK seller (fulfilled by Amazon, blah blah). Samsung seem to think the handset is a genuine UK device, but basically were unable to help me and the rep (online live chat) I spoke to was as baffled as I am on what was happening :(. For some weird reason in the ABOUT DEVICE section on the phone too, it's strangely showing up as a United Arab Emirates model with a TRA ID No. I can't tell what service provider my new G900F was unlocked from as there are no provider specific apps still present on the device (which I assumed there should still be if "nothing more than a simple unlocking procedure" was the ONLY thing that had been carried out on this new phone??? (My old S2 (GT-I9100) still had a Vodafone Updater app and a couple more hard coded Vodafone specific apps for example despite me purchasing that years ago also as an unlocked / SIM free handset too, so the S2 was unlocked from Vodafone.. Am speculating/guessing that the person unlocking the phone was rushing the process and in so doing, has inadvertently flashed a UK phone with UAE firmware/OS instead of the correct UK firmware/OS which is stopping my handset updating because certain information isn't matching up correctly????????? (Or, doesn't it work like that?????)

Have given phone serial No. to Samsung in an online chat session. The phone apparently checks out as authentic, so no issues there (I hope lol :) ).

My service carrier
is Orange (EE) UK (my location is The UK).

Android OS: (stuck on) ANDROID 4.4.2.

Full phone details are:-
  • AP:. G900FXXU1ANC9
  • CP:. G900FXXU1ANCE
  • CSC:. G900FFOJV1ANCD
  • Baseband version:. G900FXXU1ANCE
  • Build No. OT49H.G900FXXU1ANC9
I got the following from Odin Mode (holding power, home and volume up).....
  • Current Binary:. Samsung Official
  • System Status:. Official
  • Reactivation lock:. Off
  • Knox Warranty Void:. 0 x 0
  • Qualcom Secureboot:. Enable
  • AP SWREV:. S1 , T1 , R1 , A1 , P1
  • UDC Start

I received the handset exactly as it is and I haven't rooted the phone and as far as I'm aware it hasn't been rooted as the Knox warranty appears intact. From the limited info I've learned the last couple of days, I understand the warranty hasn't been voided on this phone, but am I correct in saying someone has incorrectly installed an OS for another global region (The UAE) on my UK handset prior to me receiving it please?

I'm former UK military and I badly injured my lower back and spine in service. As a result I am now in extreme constant chronic pain, VERY badly disabled and housebound 95% of the time, and bedridden a hell of a lot too!!! Ideally, I need to try and fix this problem from my own home. Obviously I'm INCREDIBLY reliant upon my mobile devices for various reasons and problems like these become a significantly greater problem to me than someone who can jump in a car, etc, and easily get to a Samsung authorised centre :(.

I really need to try and fix this myself if it's possible without bricking my new phone or making everything even worse than it already is. Unfortunately, I'm also forced to take multiple heavyweight pain and other medications. PLUS, I've literally only just started to read and digest these more advanced options regarding Androids over the last couple of days, so please be gentle with the Android tech talk lol. Might be easier in some respects to treat me as a complete noob lol, as I literally don't yet understand what some of this stuff is or means, but with help can hopefully get my head around this and fix it ;).

Samsung have suggested taking the phone to a Samsung center for help which is MUCH easier said than done in my case, obviously it's not quite that simple :(.

I'm reasonably handy with Windows PC's and software (I've built my own rigs or rigs for others in in the past for example and obviously needed to know what was required to do all that, etc, (although I am a little rusty of late lol). Admittedly when it comes to Android, Ive never rooted one.or been a serious power user, I've really only read up on what I've needed to to keep them running well or for minor issues. I can happily set up/backup/restore Androids and I also own an older Acer Iconia Tab A700 and a slightly more recent Sony Xperia Z2 Tab 10 which I can use competent​ly, but I'm no expert lol, and I've never done anything advanced with them (although may now start looking into that more). I still have my older Galaxy S2 as well, unfortunately I no longer have a SIM card or adapters that will fit it and my service carrier is going to start charging me if I keep asking for new SIMs, not to mention days waiting for them, etc, leaving me stuck without a phone at all which would not be a good thing with my circumstances as they are.

Has the software on my device been mismatched to a UK handset first of all please??? (IF more complicated than that, I guess it'll have to be returned but I'd like to avoid that if necessary, being without a phone in my situation is ABSOLUTE last resort).

Is this a problem that if I downloaded some software to my PC and if someone could link me to or send me the correct UK 4.2.2 OS/firmware I could potentially sort out myself please???

If it is mismatched software to hardware, IF I replaced the software with the correct software for my handset, presumably this would then get me back on track and it would then be able to go through a normal updating procedure???

ANY and ALL help and advice would​ be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading
and apologies for length of post and questions.

Attachments

• _20170409_222137.jpg
    _20170409_222137.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 8

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central Arctic_Wolf!

You have a genuine Samsung Galaxy S5, Global model, G900F.

It is a, "Grey Market", model in that it is running UAE firmware and intended by Samsung, for sale in that area. In theory, Samsung could declare the warranty void on such a phone.

Why it has not updated from its original 31st March 2014, release build, NCE, (see below), is a mystery as the Product Code, XSG, determines the update, worldwide. There have been circa 17 updates since its original release.

Here is the original firmware details for download in case you ever wish to revert back...

Model SM-G900F
Model name Galaxy S5
Country United Arab Emirates
Version Android 4.4.2
Changelist 1182732
Build date Mon, 31 Mar 2014 03:19:07 +0000
Security Patch Level N/A
Product code XSG
PDA G900FXXU1ANCE
CSC G900FOJV1ANCD

Alternate download link... https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/27667/G900FXXU1ANCE_G900FOJV1ANCD_XSG/

The latest update for the UAE model with Product Code XSG is...

Model SM-G900F
Model name Galaxy S5
Country United Arab Emirates
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 10662519
Build date Wed, 15 Feb 2017 09:41:20 +0000
Security Patch Level 2017-02-01
Product code XSG
PDA G900FXXU1CQB4
CSC G900FOJV1CQB1

Alternate download link... https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/125043/G900FXXU1CQB4_G900FOJV1CQB1_XSG/

You could update your phone by flashing the latest firmware using Odin and by following the instructions and video contained in the links of #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. (This also has a link to Phone Info in #1.8 if you wish to check your phone's original Product Code. It might be a good idea to post your Product Code on here before proceeding any further in case it can shed any more light on why your phone is not updating automatically.)

This will update the phone's original UAE firmware and will hopefully allow future OTA, (Over The Air), updates, if any, to come automatically to your phone as per the warning in #1.11. As with any update or flashing procedure, I always recommend backing your phone up... just in case. See, http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/545779-backup-backup-backup-now.html

However, bearing in mind that the 3 year old Samsung Galaxy S5 is now at the end of its update life and will not be receiving Android 7.0, Nougat, and, "may", not be covered by warranty in the U.K. you may want to flash, instead, a firmware more suited to either the U.K. or to your carrier, EE, which may contain extra carrier features. As per the aforementioned guide, this would prevent future OTA updates and also void your warranty. However, any future updates, if any, could be manually installed, using Odin.

This is the latest unbranded Samsung carrier free firmware for the U.K...

Model SM-G900F
Model name Galaxy S5
Country United Kingdom
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 9493471
Build date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 11:49:34 +0000
Security Patch Level 2017-03-01
Product code BTU
PDA G900FXXS1CQC1
CSC G900FOXA1CPJ6

Alternate download link... https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/126306/G900FXXS1CQC1_G900FOXA1CPJ6_BTU/

Alternatively, you could instead install the latest carrier branded firmware for EE, U.K. which may contain features and apps, (sometimes called, "bloatware"), suitable for you...

Model SM-G900F
Model name Galaxy S5
Country United Kingdom (EE)
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 9493471
Build date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 04:21:45 +0000
Security Patch Level 2017-03-01
Product code EVR
PDA G900FXXS1CQC6
CSC G900FEVR1CQB1

Download alternative
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/127451/G900FXXS1CQC6_G900FEVR1CQB1_EVR/

I would grab a coffee as there is a lot of reading involved and I would recommend that you familiarise yourself with not only this reply but also the 2 links mentioned above before making any decisions or taking any further steps.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
@ironass / #ironass ,

Thank you very much indeed for all the supplied details and helping me out here, amazing info, much appreciated :).

When you ask about checking the phones original product code.... By that, do you mean the serial number please???

Oookkkk lol. A hell of a lot to take onboard there. I've contacted the Amazon vendor and they have now requested the damn phone be returned for full refund as they want to investigate further as well (am guessing they purchased stock that was meant to be genuine unlocked UK handsets and somehow they've ended up with a grey import or possibly more, and they want to look into it before they start getting countless more phones being returned to them. I can't blame them for that really​ I guess). The information you've provided will also be useful to pass on to the seller as well.

This is precisely what I was trying to avoid if possible, but I guess I now don't have much choice. I've also asked in a reply to the seller if I were I to return this phone to them and immediately purchase another from them as soon as the refund went through could they assure me the same thing won't just happen all over again, and they've yet to reply (if at all) :(.

I'll definitely be looking to buy another S5 and I realise they are an older handset in the grand scheme of things. But, they do everything I need of one and I'd still have the convenience of instantly swapping batteries and SD cards, etc as required. I'm also used to Marshmallow as my Xperia Tab has been running it for some time, so the added familiarity will be helpful too. I'm not in a huge rush to experience Nougat, etc, lol ;). I just need a reliable and familiar device!!

I've spent a few days testing out this problem handset in general and I really do like it. Some friends have S7 / S7 Edges and I've had a good play around with theirs when they visited but TBH, I actually prefer the S5 now I've seen and handled one in the flesh.

IF I purchase another and I run into the same problem, I may simply have to bite the bullet and just go ahead and do as you suggested with flashing to the recent UK EE firmware given that the S5 won't be receiving anymore updates anyway. I can't keep purchasing and returning phones if it turns out there's an issue with a replacement, it's annoying enough this is happening now lol, I can't keep playing that game!!

My apologies bud, at this point it now looks like I've completely wasted your time if this phone has got to go back :(. Otherwise, I'll just have to cross my fingers that the next handset I source is a genuine UK device that will update by itself properly, IF NOT, I'm definitely going to be back here and flashing the phone myself as per your extremely useful information.

Sigh. Typical lol. Watch this space I guess.

I must admit, if nothing else this has given me some interest in perhaps looking at the possibility of maybe having a bit more of a play around with Android, but looks like I've got a hell of a lot to learn in the meantime lol.

Thanks again. Cross fingers a replacement isn't a grey import.

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
If you know what you're doing and you have the correct firmware and Odin installed on yer PC....

...How long does it take to do a back up of the stock firmware and flash the new firmware (Marshmallow for example) pkease??

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
You do not have to back the existing firmware up... just any of your data... to be on the safe side. The actual flashing process is a matter of minutes and is shown in the video I linked you to in my original post.

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Thanks bud for being so patient with me here!! I help a lot of people on another forum for E Cigs and the amount of people with the same questions over and over and people frequently need walking through some of the more advanced devices when they first get them, etc (some even need walking through basic devices) lol ;). A lot of people helped me when I needed it years ago, so am just repaying the favour and am still perfectly happy to help each new vaper where possible :). My point being, I'm definitely remembering exactly how they feel right now lol. Know some bits and bobs, but still extremely unsure and a serious lack of confidence in all this pmsl :).

Am trying to click on your links and only the second one down out of the 4 different firmware versionsworks. Unfortunately, the rest return an error of "page cannot be found" for some reason. Are the links correct for links 1 3 and 4 plz? I've created an account there but links 1, 3 and 4 still not working???. I've read through all the S5's for dummies stuff a couple of times and the backup sections, but I'm not seeing a link to a video?!

Am getting very close to cancelling the return now, keeping the damn phone and self upgrading regardless of what the seller wants. Looking through recent Amazon S5 purchases, lately there's been a hell of a lot of fakes or used being sold as new. I could see this phone was brand new and the only issue seems relatively minor from what you're telling me. Flash the phone with the latest Marshmallow without the bloatware and it'd be sorted won't it?? It sounds great for calls, lovely and clear line compared to my S2, it's really fast and music, screen, video and othwr features are also great, etc. If I return this one and order another, as also mentioned, I could get a worse phone with different issues, etc :(. I'm thinking cut my losses, keep this and sort it myself as originally intended now. I think I'm heading that way!!

All of my data is backed up to Google and Samsung, etc, so no worries there, always is and regularly synced So the back up part is sorted if the existing firmware itself on the device doesn't need backing up.

I'll download Odin and get that installed and if you wouldn't mind please checking the links I'll download those other firmware files. Have started downloading the second one down that the link works for :). Sneaky slow download speed though lol.

The ONLY aspect that worries me is as previously​ mentioned is trying to do an update distracted by pain, tired for lack of sleep and medications causing reoccurring moments of #DUMBASS that it all goes horribly wrong!!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what happened there. I checked all the links prior to posting, yesterday. Have now re-done all the links and re-checked them, in post #2. The video is in #1.11 link of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, along with links to Odin and SamMobile firmwares. I have checked and they are all working.

Last edited:

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Ok lol.

Bullet bitten. Hit the tutorials and have flashed the phone for now with the most recent UAE firmware 6.0.1. Everything seems fine as far as I can tell so far. Will need to set it all up again as I had reset it in preparation for it to be returned but then changed my mind obviously lol ;).

Will let you know how that all goes, etc.

Thanks again for all your help. Will let you know if any issues :).

Product code (under CSC code in Phone Info *SAMSUNG* says:. SM-G900FZWAXSG. Does that throw any further light on the circumstances of this particular phone??? It claims it's a white / 16 gb phone but mine is definitely a black model!! Hope that's just an error and nothing ominous after all this lol.

Still couldn't get those other links working for the other 3 firmware versions you listed either unfortunately. Are you able to open those pages plz??

Many thanks :).

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Ok lol.

Bullet bitten. Hit the tutorials and have flashed the phone for now with the most recent UAE firmware 6.0.1. Everything seems fine as far as I can tell so far. Will need to set it all up again as I had reset it in preparation for it to be returned but then changed my mind obviously lol ;).

Will let you know how that all goes, etc.

Thanks again for all your help. Will let you know if any issues :).

Product code (under CSC code in Phone Info *SAMSUNG* says:. SM-G900FZWAXSG. Does that throw any further light on the circumstances of this particular phone??? It claims it's a white / 16 gb phone but mine is definitely a black model!! Hope that's just an error and nothing ominous after all this lol.

Still couldn't get those other links working for the other 3 firmware versions you listed either unfortunately. Are you able to open those pages plz??

Many thanks :).

Product Code, SM-G900FZWAXSG, denotes that the phone was definitely a grey import from the UAE.

I have checked all the links again in post #2 and even added alternate links and they are all working. If you are still having trouble, here is the generic SamMobile Firmware link...

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G900F/

Last edited:

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Everything seems good thanks @ironass :).

For some reason the fingerprint scanner takes a time out after a soft or hard restart and requires the backup pass entering, then it behaves absolutely fine :).

Print plugin also has a bit of a glitch, but will hopefully find a workaround or an update will fix it.

Otherwise, it seems to have been a complete success :).

NEVER would have been able to suss all this out and do what I have without your help and advice. You Sir are a bloody star :). Thank you very much indeed for EVERYTHING you've done to help me out here and take a bow whilst yer at it ;).

Cheers.

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
@ironass ,

Mind if I pick your expert brain again please lol ;)?? In Phone Info *Samsung*, as previously mentioned the Product Code is:. SM-G900FZWAXSG.

However, the "Original CSC code" field/value is completely blank (shouldn't that have the original 4.4.2 code??). BOTH the firmware and active CSC codes also read:. XSG.

Additionally, a load of "Available CSC Codes" are also listed. (EGY, FWD, KSA, LEB, MAT, MWD, and XSG).

(CSC country as we seem to have already established is UAE / AE.)

Do all these other Available CSC codes mean that other firmware/OS versions ending with the listed Available 3 letter suffixes could be installed on this device without voiding Knox please mate?

Although, from what you've already patiently explained to me, I'm assuming that ideally I'm going to want/need firmware ending in BTU (or EVR if I wanted the Orange/EE bloatware version) and those other CSC codes are for nations other than the UK???

Just trying to get my head around what they mean and I think I'll have a much better understanding of how this stuff works and the codes, etc then :).

If it's going to require a monster reply to explain it, don't worry about it bud, you've already done more than enough to help me out, that's for sure :). If it's something you could explain quickly and easily however, would be much appreciated :).

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have seen, "Original CSC Code", blank in phones that have already been flashed, usually by a vendor, as I mention in the Dummies Guide.

The available CSC codes are for the region of the phone... EGY = Egypt, KSA = Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, LEB = Lebanon, etc: See Dummies Guide for explanation of CSC codes.

Knox Security, (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ions%2Fsecurity%2Fsamsung-knox&token=AndA-Vyi), will not be voided by flashing any genuine Samsung firmware.

In your position, I would go for either of the 2 U.K. firmwares.

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
@ironass ,

Once again, my deep appreciation :).

Fixed the printer issue as well :). Still can't work out why the fingerprint scanner takes a vacation after a reboot, but if that's the only small glitch I've got to worry about, I can't complain at all :).

Will stick with this UAE flash for now as everything is working perfectly.

If I get bored in time or decide to mess around with things a little more with Android, etc after I've had this phone a while I'll probably give the UK firmwares a look to see if any useful extras are provided. Will get those other two UK firmware options downloaded ready to try out as required though :).

Thanks again ;). I've got a much greater understanding of all of this stuff now so at least I've dragged my sorry arse out of the complete noob catergory with your extensive help ;).

It's been an eye opener that's for sure :).

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
@ironass , ( #ironass ),

IF you're still around??.... Hi & hope you are well :)??? Sorry to suddenly revive an older thread on you, but your knowledge is so extensive & trustworthy, I just didn't know who else to run this by so I don't destroy a perfectly good & trusty S5 lol. (A couple of others I asked about this simply didn't have your knowledge & their suggestions weren't adding up)!!

I'll quickly recap the basics to try & keep this as brief as possible..... My location = UK. I purchased an S5 (SM-G900F) back in 03/2017. Thanks to you, you quickly determined my phone was a grey import originating from the UAE. My phone just would not update from Android 4.4.2 to Android 5, or 6.0.1 by any of the normal/routine means & the only option to get it done was to manually flash.

This was the original info for the phone as I received it:
AP:. G900FXXU1ANC9
CP:. G900FXXU1ANCE
CSC:. G900FFOJV1ANCD
Baseband version:. G900FXXU1ANCE
Build No. OT49H.G900FXXU1ANC9
PRODUCT CODE: (For some reason I didn't post the original, but it's my understanding that you determined it was "NCE").

You determined my best options at the time (mid April 2017) was to either:-
1) Flash to the latest official unbranded Samsung UAE 6.0.1 firmware, ( produxt code - XSG).
2) Flash to the latest official unbranded Samsung UK 6.0.1 firmware (product code - BTU).
3) (Whilst the phone is an unlocked/SIM-free SM-G900F; my SIM ONLY service provider/carrier at the time (& still is ) EE. Ergo, you also advised that the most recent EE carrier branded 6.0.1 firmware (code - EVR) was also a possible/good option. (I also understand that the EE branded 6.0.1 firmware has the Wi-Fi calls feature, attractive if appropriate)??

To keep things as simple as possible for me, I just went with option 1 & flashed to the most recent official Samsung unbranded UAE 6.0.1. firmware, (XSG). Ultimately, that was 100% successful after following all of your excellent help & guides :D :cool:. The phone has been absolutely brilliant in every possible way since then. I've had no issues or problems at all & VERY HAPPY :D. The device is fast, very reliable, & I haven't suffered from any glitches from the OS, stock apps, or apps I've added. TYVM indeed :D :cool:. A package disabler has also really helped with battery life.

As a result of that update, my device info is now:
PRODUCT CODE:. G900FZWAXSG
AP: G900FXXS1CQD8
CP: G900FXXU1CQB1
CSC; G900FOJV1CQB1
BASEBAND VERSION: G900FXXU1CQB1
BUILD NUMBER: MMB29M.G900FXXS1CQD8
ANDROID SECURITY PATCH LEVEL: 01 APRIL 2017.

Here is where I need to pick your expert brain again if I could please, (& I apologise for these noob questions again lol)..... (As far as I can recall), I haven't received any further updates, although I seem to recall receiving a security patch update OTA about 4 weeks after I manually flashed. Obviously, the security patch level is somewhat older now with the version I flashed to. Ultimately, if I'd like firmware with a more recent security patch, would I be better off downloading either the latest official Sam unbranded UK 6.0.1 (BTU), or the EE branded UK 6.0.1 (EVR) please?? Do either of those 2 options have more recent security patches than my current UAE firmware (XSG) to the best of your knowledge?

Looking at the SamMobile website, it looks like the unbranded UAE (XSG) hasn't been updated at all since I flashed with it last April, but it looks like the BTU firmware at least has a more recent build date of 15 Jan 2018 with a security patch of 2017-08-01, (trouble is, I don't know exactly what that means & I also don't know if SamMobile uses YYYY-MM-DD OR YYYY-DD-MM LOLOL)??? If possible, I'd like to update so I'll have the firmware with the most recent security patches, etc. It looks like the 2 UK versions I've mentioned may "possibly" have been updated since last April (although with my limited knowledge I can't be sure about that)!! Would you please mind verifying if the 2 choices below are suitable for my phone, & if they have been updated (even if the updates were just security patches)?? I'd hate to choose the wrong damn firmware & screw up what's been an excellent phone for the last 10 months thanks to all your previous help!!!

I'm looking at these 2 options basically (it won't let me paste the actual links in (spam warning), so hopefully I've added enough info that will quickly make sense to you ;o) ).....
1) SM-G900F unbranded official Samsung UK 6.0.1 - ( PDA - G900FXXU1CRA2, CSC - G900FOXA1CRA2 ). Product code - BTU
Or
2). SM-G900F EE carrier branded UK 6.0.1 - ( PDA - G900FXXS1CQD3, CSC - G900FEVR1CQB1 ). Product code - EVR.

This has ended up getting much longer than I intended, my apologies!! It's not easy trying to describe all of this stuff & still "try" to make sense lol.

Any advice or input would be very much appreciated & thanks for reading. It's about time my phone had a full factory reset to freshen up anyway; if 1 of those 2 UK firmware options are suitable & are slightly more recent (especially for the security patches), I'll do a full factory reset & flash to the different firmware. (IF so, fingers crossed all will be good for many more months to come :) ).

Many thanks & kind regards,
Wolfy.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
@ironass , ( #ironass ),

IF you're still around??.... Hi & hope you are well :)??? Sorry to suddenly revive an older thread on you, but your knowledge is so extensive & trustworthy, I just didn't know who else to run this by so I don't destroy a perfectly good & trusty S5 lol. (A couple of others I asked about this simply didn't have your knowledge & their suggestions weren't adding up)!!

I'll quickly recap the basics to try & keep this as brief as possible..... My location = UK. I purchased an S5 (SM-G900F) back in 03/2017. Thanks to you, you quickly determined my phone was a grey import originating from the UAE. My phone just would not update from Android 4.4.2 to Android 5, or 6.0.1 by any of the normal/routine means & the only option to get it done was to manually flash.

This was the original info for the phone as I received it:
AP:. G900FXXU1ANC9
CP:. G900FXXU1ANCE
CSC:. G900FFOJV1ANCD
Baseband version:. G900FXXU1ANCE
Build No. OT49H.G900FXXU1ANC9
PRODUCT CODE: (For some reason I didn't post the original, but it's my understanding that you determined it was "NCE").

You determined my best options at the time (mid April 2017) was to either:-
1) Flash to the latest official unbranded Samsung UAE 6.0.1 firmware, ( produxt code - XSG).
2) Flash to the latest official unbranded Samsung UK 6.0.1 firmware (product code - BTU).
3) (Whilst the phone is an unlocked/SIM-free SM-G900F; my SIM ONLY service provider/carrier at the time (& still is ) EE. Ergo, you also advised that the most recent EE carrier branded 6.0.1 firmware (code - EVR) was also a possible/good option. (I also understand that the EE branded 6.0.1 firmware has the Wi-Fi calls feature, attractive if appropriate)??

To keep things as simple as possible for me, I just went with option 1 & flashed to the most recent official Samsung unbranded UAE 6.0.1. firmware, (XSG). Ultimately, that was 100% successful after following all of your excellent help & guides :D :cool:. The phone has been absolutely brilliant in every possible way since then. I've had no issues or problems at all & VERY HAPPY :D. The device is fast, very reliable, & I haven't suffered from any glitches from the OS, stock apps, or apps I've added. TYVM indeed :D :cool:. A package disabler has also really helped with battery life.

As a result of that update, my device info is now:
PRODUCT CODE:. G900FZWAXSG
AP: G900FXXS1CQD8
CP: G900FXXU1CQB1
CSC; G900FOJV1CQB1
BASEBAND VERSION: G900FXXU1CQB1
BUILD NUMBER: MMB29M.G900FXXS1CQD8
ANDROID SECURITY PATCH LEVEL: 01 APRIL 2017.

Here is where I need to pick your expert brain again if I could please, (& I apologise for these noob questions again lol)..... (As far as I can recall), I haven't received any further updates, although I seem to recall receiving a security patch update OTA about 4 weeks after I manually flashed. Obviously, the security patch level is somewhat older now with the version I flashed to. Ultimately, if I'd like firmware with a more recent security patch, would I be better off downloading either the latest official Sam unbranded UK 6.0.1 (BTU), or the EE branded UK 6.0.1 (EVR) please?? Do either of those 2 options have more recent security patches than my current UAE firmware (XSG) to the best of your knowledge?

Looking at the SamMobile website, it looks like the unbranded UAE (XSG) hasn't been updated at all since I flashed with it last April, but it looks like the BTU firmware at least has a more recent build date of 15 Jan 2018 with a security patch of 2017-08-01, (trouble is, I don't know exactly what that means & I also don't know if SamMobile uses YYYY-MM-DD OR YYYY-DD-MM LOLOL)??? If possible, I'd like to update so I'll have the firmware with the most recent security patches, etc. It looks like the 2 UK versions I've mentioned may "possibly" have been updated since last April (although with my limited knowledge I can't be sure about that)!! Would you please mind verifying if the 2 choices below are suitable for my phone, & if they have been updated (even if the updates were just security patches)?? I'd hate to choose the wrong damn firmware & screw up what's been an excellent phone for the last 10 months thanks to all your previous help!!!

I'm looking at these 2 options basically (it won't let me paste the actual links in (spam warning), so hopefully I've added enough info that will quickly make sense to you ;o) ).....
1) SM-G900F unbranded official Samsung UK 6.0.1 - ( PDA - G900FXXU1CRA2, CSC - G900FOXA1CRA2 ). Product code - BTU
Or
2). SM-G900F EE carrier branded UK 6.0.1 - ( PDA - G900FXXS1CQD3, CSC - G900FEVR1CQB1 ). Product code - EVR.

This has ended up getting much longer than I intended, my apologies!! It's not easy trying to describe all of this stuff & still "try" to make sense lol.

Any advice or input would be very much appreciated & thanks for reading. It's about time my phone had a full factory reset to freshen up anyway; if 1 of those 2 UK firmware options are suitable & are slightly more recent (especially for the security patches), I'll do a full factory reset & flash to the different firmware. (IF so, fingers crossed all will be good for many more months to come :) ).

Many thanks & kind regards,
Wolfy.
I'm not as good as @ironass when it comes to flashing different models, but I used to flash firmware for my Samsung devices. If you are using a PC program called Odin, that should do a reset after flashing is complete. I will admit right away that I have been away from flashing Samsung devices that I'm no longer sure Odin is still used.

Another option could be to flash a custom ROM. This could potentially help you stay as up to date as possible, depending on the type of ROM you choose to go to.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The latest stock Samsung firmware and Android Security patch is...

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country

Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 12884729
Build date Mon, 15 Jan 2018 07:53:04 +0000
Security Patch Level 2017-08-01
Product code BTU
PDA G900FXXU1CRA2
CSC G900FOXA1CRA2

Strange that Samsung should update the firmware in January 2018 but only offer the 1st August 2017 Android Security patch. This is likely the last update for the S5.

As Golfdriver97 suggests, you could, if you feel capable, root your phone and install a custom recovery such as TWRP and gapps package which would allow you to flash the latest Lineage ROM, which is still updated on a regular basis, for Andoid 7.1.1, Nougat, and the February Security Patch. This is for experienced and competent users.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Hey @ GolfDriver97,

Thanks for your reply, it is still appreciated :).

You are indeed correct, "Odin" is still the Windows program used for flashing various Samsung devices (or at least in as far as I've used it with "official" Samsung firmware versions that is, (or "carrier branded" Samsung firmware's too)). I don't think Odin always automatically wipes/deletes all user information upon flashing unless the option to format a specific partition, or the internal storage, etc is selected (if available) in Odin's advanced settings when carrying out the flash procedure, (but I'm still ultimately a complete noob with Odin too & could VERY easily be incorrect there lol). However, I've seen videos of people flashing S5's or other Samsung devices on YouTube; who have flashed up from Android KitKat to Lollipop, or Lollipop to Marshmallow as examples, they've restarted their phones afterwards & VOILA, they've immediately retained all of their wallpapers, lock screens, all of their pictures, documents, settings, & various other user info too, without needing to sync.

Ultimately, my comments on "factory resetting" were more rhetorical than being essential or a necessity. Personally, I've only ever needed to factory reset 1 of my other Android devices, (a PITFA Acer Iconia Tab A700 lol), it literally needed a reset every 3-4 months or it became INTOLERABLE to use lol. My Sony SGP511 for example is nigh on 3 years without a reset & it still runs very fast & smooth. The S5 has not had one in 10 months & it doesn't actually NEED one, it too is incredibly fast, smooth & reliable. More than anything else I simply mentioned I might as well do one for housekeeping purposes if I'm going to be flashing it anyway. Hopefully, it'll also ensure that nothing conflicts if some user or app data, or settings are somehow left behind that then cause issues post flash ;).

The main thing I need the help with from good old @ironass is ensuring I actually choose the right firmware for my S5, for my circumstances, etc, etc. (Much more preferable to my niece reminding me of my "epic fail" every 300 seconds or less if I try & wing it, & completely **** it up lo! ;) ).

When it comes to custom ROM's my knowledge is even more limited lol. I'm aware of what they are & of different sources such as the popular Cyanogen mods, etc. I've never really needed to use one to date, however, & there's really no need at this time to go down that route with my S5. Hopefully @ironass will no doubt clear things up with the official firmware options ;).

Please don't get me wrong lol, I don't wish to sound ungrateful!! It's still ALL food for thought when all is said & done :). Once my S5, Galaxy Tab A6 or the Sony SGP511 reach a certain age & I'll probably have newer devices by then anyway - They'll then be ideal for practising trying out custom ROM's, advanced rooting, etc., without the fear of if it all goes horribly wrong it wouldn't leave me well & truly shafted hehehe :p.

All the best,
Wolfy.

Arctic_Wolf

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Aha lol, hey @ironass ;).

Thanks for the quick reply & the info :). (You snuck that reply in just as I was replying to @GolfDriver96 lol). EDIT:- (LOL, sorry bud, typo - @Golfdriver97 :) ).

OK, the BTU firmware version it is then (& yes, I also thought it odd that the build date was newer than the security patch}???. This is another reason why I wanted to run it by you incase this was an exploited or hacked firmware version or something?? Although, SamMobile is a 100% trusted source of firmware files isn't it??

Either way, it should give me firmware with more recent security patches for various threats than my current older firmware may not include.

I don't think I'm quite at the point of needing custom ROM's just yet ;). As explained to GolfDriver, in the future perhaps, when I have a new phone & the s5 is sitting idle as is an old tablet, I'll use them as "guinea pigs" for custom ROM's, rooting, & other non-supported shenanigans when I'm not bothered what the outcome is when I totally brick or ruin a device lolol :p.

Thanks once again for helping out with this stuff @ironass, it is deeply appreciated & you are MOST helpful :).

TYVM & all the best :).

Last edited: