Galaxy S6 Active: 5.1.1? Where is it?

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
So I got my Nexus 6P yesterday. I have 2 weeks to decide if I am keeping it. Owning Nexus phones before, it is nice knowing that I will receive Android software updates as soon as Google releases them. I did some non-scientific side by side speed tests. Opening apps cold, it was pretty side by side. There were a few times where the 6P opened an app faster than the Active, but on average apps on the Active opened a little faster. Once more than 3 apps were open, the 6p was faster, not having to re-flow many apps.

I tried entering directions in Google maps. The Active decided to have a brain fart after I put the address in and it just froze for about 5 seconds before putting the pin on the map. Also once navigating, the 6p had no issues multi-tasking and battery drain was minimal. When navigating on the Active, it was running hot and slowing down other apps. I've noticed this with Google maps on the Active. Waze is a bit better, so I usually use that

Camera app on Active is much better, in particular the video recording is better. I haven't figured out if the 6p even supports 60FPS. It only has options for HD video and 4K. Processing of HDR pictures is slow. It doesn't seem to cut down on how fast you can take pictures, but it does affect the time that you can review the picture. Picture quality if good, video is a bit shaky on the 6p. I also found that the video is slower to focus, especially at short distances. The rest of the 6p app is bare bones.

Screen isn't as bright on the 6p at max Brightness vs the Active. I don't think the auto will do the extra boost in the sun, but yesterday was cloudy so I didn't get to try it. If it does, I'll really miss that feature from the Active.

Its silly, but I already miss the Active key.

Fingerprint reader on the 6p is nice, accurate and quick. I never tried the one on the regular S6, so I can't compare.

Volume on the 6p works well. Always annoyed at the nanny dialog on the Active when I boost it past 75% volume. Especially annoying when connected to my car's bluetooth. I usually shut my phone down every day because of my job. I know the dialog doesn't come up after the first time while the phone is running.

No more dialog boxes that pop up on the lower half of the screen! I don't know why Samsung still uses them, they are so annoying. I am always getting messages about slow speed detected even if the speed is fine. Also messages for when connecting to WiFi, etc.

Much fewer nanny messages. I never understood why I have to acknowledge a dialog after selecting airplane mode. I know why I selected Airplane mode, you don't need to warn me and make me press ok to activate it. Same goes for shutting down! If I took the time to hold down the power button, then select power off, that should be enough for you to understand I want to shut down. I don't need another dialog warning me that you are shutting on than then having to press a button. Basically 3 buttons presses to shut down on the Active.

Much more free space on the 6p. I think is started with only about 4.5 GB used by the system. The Active was closer to 8GB used out of the box. While I like a number of Samsung's enhancements including the camera app, screen adjustments, options layout, etc, I don't like apps like Uber that I can't uninstall. I would say Samsung's features would be worth about 1GB extra to me.

If there was a phone size/screen size/battery size ratio measurement for phones, the Active hits the sweet spot for me. Especially since it really dosen't need a case. The 6p is a bit too big, but I can probably get used to it.

I miss QC2.0, although the 6p charges fast at home, I don't have a compatible charger for my car (yet). But either way, its more stuff to buy.

Lets see if the Active gets an update in the next couple weeks while I can still return the 6P. It would be nice to compare after the update.

thetruthkc

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
@greetings, thanks for the writeup.

So far my Active has been great after my factory reset after the first month of ownership. I agree with your software hangups with Samsung, but the hardware and form factor are just great with the Active. At the moment, my only hangup is with the RAM management. It has now creeped into my head to a point were I don't want to multitask out of my game or video in fear that the app will need to reload and I will lose progress. Normal day to day apps like Feedly, mail, texting are fine as reloads are quick. But if I'm in my game, I really think twice about responding to email or text until I'm at a good stopping point -- pretty annoying in 2015 for a flagship phone.

How's battery on the 6p?
Did you signup for project Fi? Would you consider switching from AT&T?

Things to consider:
- Now that I've dropped my Active 3-4 times, I'd probably get a case for the 6p since it probably wouldn't do well in a drop. That'll add bulk to an already big phone.
- Marshmallow is nice, but there isn't anything I'm craving in that build (unless it fixes RAM management on the S6 Active)
- I booted my OnePlus One the other day and was just amazed at how awesome the screen is on the Active. If the 6p can't compete, you may be regretting the switch.
- Will it be a switch for you? will you be selling the s6 Active? If not, you could always just switch back and forth depending on how you feel that day.
- Battery/charging/wireless charging is important to me, I have invested in QC2.0 accessories and wireless charging pads. It would be hard for me to switch that all out as I have tons of stuff besides my phone that charges using the standard USB cables. You'd have to repurchase spare USB-C cables and chargers.

Anyway, I'm still pretty satisfied with the S6 Active. But that's Android for you, there will be a new flagship released every 3-4 months to get you itching to switch.

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
@thetruthkc

Haven't run the 6p long enough to say that the battery life is good, but I'll let you know. It seemed acceptable yesterday. Nice thing is I tried streaming audio in my car from TuneIn radio, ran navigation on Google maps, and kept the screen on. Despite all that, the charge went up while I had it plugged into a 2.1 Amp USB car charger. The Active would go down while running all that unless I had it plugged into a QC2.0 port. I found the Active usually has good battery life, but there are times where it uses way more battery than it should. I don't expect the 6p will do that. Marshmallow requires apps to report more battery usage info. Plus since it started with very no bloat so I don't have to worry about apps have no control over. Granted I miss a few of those apps (camera).

I hear there are some thin cases for the 6P, i'm gonna chance it though. I got the Nexus protect plan, so if I beat it up enough I can exchange it.

Marshmallow is nice so far. Yea, nothing stunningly different, but with Doze, better memory and battery management, it should run a lot better over time.

6P screen is AMOLED, just not as bright as the Active. Only really noticed it when I had them side by side. Both were way better than my girlfriend's Iphone 6+ :)

Not sure about selling the Active. I might while it still gets good value (pre S7). Although I might just give it to a family member that needs a new phone. Being able to switch also sounds good. SIM size is the same, so switching would be easy.

Yea a bit annoying with no QC2.0 or wireless charging. I don't always use wireless charging since it is slow, but I do use it from time to time. New cables are annoying too. I do like how positive a click the USB-C connector makes with the phone. Much more secure that before.

The 3-4 month flagship is a bit too much, although no more 810 phones please, next round of flagships should be the 820. Main reason I think about switching back to Apple is getting out of the Android flagship cycle. I actually might switch back with the iPhone 7. It is just nice to only have to get excited once a year :). Although at this point the only Android phones I track are the Nexus line and Samsung flagships. Seriously if Samsung could just get off the carrier lock-in boat and start selling direct, I would be very happy. Also they need to work on their memory management. Great hardware, but stupid software decisions are holding me back from being squarely in Samsung's camp. How great would it be if they sold an Active that was unlocked and worked on all carriers? I still see carriers continuing to "distinguish" themselves by locking in the more rugged variant exclusives. Its a shame, because everyone should have access to more durable phones if they want them. Now that carrier contracts are basically dead, carrier locked phones should die too. It probably won't happen quickly enough, especially with Samsung.

Ami Mishra

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I have read somewhere online that samsung has confirmed that the S6 Active will likely receive the update probably in Q1 next year as it is in the "testinf" phase now. I believe Samsung has to work with and improve upon the TouchWiz interface before they put it out.

I don't plan on getting rid of the Active because it is a wonderful phone with a great camera, battery life, display and so on and I think with the 6.0 marshmellow update in the future, the S6 active will probably be one of the best phones out there.

jkayakj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Sam73065

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
They may have taken the LG approach and skipped 5.1.1 on the active and skipped straight to 6

Posted via the Android Central App

Fine, but shouldn't the carrier and/or Samsung give us that information? I love the S6 Active despite it being a Samsung device and despite the carrier branding. But if on top of dealing with ATT & Samsung crapware, I also cannot get timely updates, this will have to be my last carrier branded phone.

DroidFromVA

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
The roll-out of Marshmallow on AT&T and other carriers operating primarily in the US has been slow, for whatever reason. Foreign markets with the S6 got it several weeks ago and Samsung pushed out their own update back in Feb or so. The timeline from last year would have given it to the S6 Active this month, but it's looking like we'll get it around May/June, when the S7 Active is released.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My S6 active has been saying update interrupted for months now, I stopped using it and went back to my Nexus 6 in December, just decided to do a full wipe / factory reset and even after that the first time it checked for an update it still says update interrupted. No more carrier exclusive phones for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Google is diligently working on Android N, releasing the developer preview 2 full months ahead of schedule. Meanwhile, Marshmallow for the S6 Active sits under AT&Ts bed and grows stale.

Now I don't always need to have the latest and greatest, but this 2015 flagship device has been shadowed by the 2016 flagship device. It seems like ATT wants to use the latest Android OS as a point to sell the S7. "Oh wait, the S7 Active is coming out in June, and if you want the latest and best Android experience, that's the device you want....Pay no attention to that S6 Active over there...he's running on Lollipop which was released in 2014."

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX