Android Auto Not Working

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I just bought an active phone and Android auto won't even register on my nex player. Very frustrating. I had a company iPhone, which was ok but I prefer android, however car play worked flawlessly on the iPhone. Help?!

Posted via the Android Central App

chrisliphart

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Any other S6 Active users having problems with Android Auto? I've been having issues with my Kenwood DDX9207S head unit where it sometimes doesn't initialize AA properly, is more often than not very laggy, etc. Sometimes it runs smoothly, as I would expect for a phone of this class with these specs, but it's getting pretty frustrating. I've tried clearing Android Auto's data/cache and uninstalling and reinstalling it, but nothing seems to help. I'm not sure if it's an AA issue, phone issue, or possibly the head unit (very doubtful, but the screen sometimes stays stuck on AA after disconnecting the phone). I can sometimes resolve the issue simply by unplugging and replugging the phone in, sometimes I have to kill all app processes, and sometimes I have to flat out reboot the phone.

EDIT:
Did some testing last night and this morning during my commute (I sit in a lot of traffic, don't worry) and found a possible culprit: Settings. I looked at the memory usage for apps, and without fail, everything was using very little memory except Settings, which was eating 100-300mbs. Killing the process instantly made AA responsive again, but within 5-10 minutes, I was seeing lag again, and Settings was building up memory usage. I'm going to perform a factory reset on the phone today to see if that alleviates the issue.

EDIT II:
After factory resetting the phone, I'm not seeing issues, SO FAR, with AA. The settings thing wasn't the right target. I still get high RAM numbers with it regardless, and I see the same thing on my Tab S2, so that's obviously not what was causing the issue. The difference *might* be that I disabled a lot of AT&T bloatware before, and in doing so might have messed something up. I'm leaving everything enabled right now, so we'll see how this goes. I only have one car ride under my belt so far, so it's not a very scientific comparison.

EDIT III:
Ran into the exact same issues earlier this afternoon. Plugged the phone in, got the "Accept" screen on my head unit, and then blank. I looked at my phone and realized that AA didn't actually launch, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It launched that time, but the lag was there. I can take up to 10 seconds for AA to register a touch, and Maps freezes up constantly for 10 seconds or so before trying to catch up (it usually doesn't catch all the way up before it freezes again). This makes AA more or less unusable for me. I can't find anyone else out there that has had these issues with AA and this phone, so I'm unsure of what the issue actually is. The only difference between last night and today is that last night I was listening to podcasts through Pocket Casts, and today I used Audible. I'll do a bit more testing with/without Audible to see if that's the culprit; I know AA support is relatively new on Audible (though it was in the beta for a while). Again, I haven't seen anyone complain of poor AA performance while using Audible, so I don't know if that's the issue. I wish I had a Nexus to test this against to see if its the phone...

Last edited: