battery drain 20% overnight

jackal2001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
charged my phone last night before bed, usually i only get 1-4% drain overnight while sleeping. last night got 20% drain in 8 hours. wtf? nothing in battery stats other than android system at 8%.
Only app i installed was SD Maid and that isn't running. How do I find what is chewing up battery?
I used to use better battery stats on a rooted device, not sure how much it will help now.
any suggestions on apps to find out what is killing my battery now?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SD Maid isn't a huge battery user. (I always have it on my phones.)

Make sure you aren't set to automatically update apps - the phone could have spent most of the night updating, and that eats a lot of battery (any transmitter use does, and downloading requires acknowledgement by transmitter).

jackal2001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
nope, i have the playstore to not update automatically.
i downloaded package disabler and disabled a bunch more stuff. I'm going to try it again tonight after making sure i kill all running processes and apps, charge to 100% and see what happens. Hopefully it will be ok again. If not, I guess I have to do a factory reset and start all over again. Don't know what caused it to happen.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Were all your radios switched on (WiFi, mobile, location)? Installing Gsam is a good call and will help you if the same drain happens again.

I can think of a couple of things. Maybe your network had problems and you had a weak signal for a while. Check the signal bar in the battery stats. Do you have any cloud storage app programed to sync/upload at night time? Maybe something went wrong with that or there were many media files to be uploaded.

jackal2001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
wifi is set to turn off (most data usage) in sleep. GPS is always off. Bluetooth is always on. Location settings are always off.
No cloud services. Where is the signal bar in battery stats?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
charged my phone last night before bed, usually i only get 1-4% drain overnight while sleeping. last night got 20% drain in 8 hours. wtf? nothing in battery stats other than android system at 8%.
Only app i installed was SD Maid and that isn't running. How do I find what is chewing up battery?
I used to use better battery stats on a rooted device, not sure how much it will help now.
any suggestions on apps to find out what is killing my battery now?

Try downloading CPU Spy to see if your phone is going in to deep sleep? Did you get an update to the OS recently?

You might try booting in to recovery and clearing the cached partition as well.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21027

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.bvalosek.cpuspy&hl=en&token=J5CBtwRg

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, you should keep WiFi on while you sleep, especially if you have WiFi in your house (assuming you do). This will help with a bad network signal and take less power than running mobile data.

jackal2001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've found in the past that keeping wifi turned on sucks more battery power. If you don't have apps that constantly hit the network there should be nothing to worry about.

jackal2001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Tested again last night. Had it charged to 100% at 10pm. Woke up at 6AM with battery still at 100%. I changed no settings on my phone. Just disabled more crap using package disabler and made sure all apps were closed. So last night over 8 hrs, I lost 0%.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Pretty good then. Maybe it was a temporary glitch or some of those disabled apps were going wild. Let us know if you manage to pin the culprit.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Tested again last night. Had it charged to 100% at 10pm. Woke up at 6AM with battery still at 100%. I changed no settings on my phone. Just disabled more crap using package disabler and made sure all apps were closed. So last night over 8 hrs, I lost 0%.

Would you mind sharing what apps you disabled with package disabler? I am mainly interested with which apps you disabler that came stock with the phone

Posted via the Android Central App

jackal2001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'll get that together tomorrow or at least try. If you look in the package disabled thread I put a link that tells you a lot of the bloat on these phones. Use it as a guide.

Posted via the Android Central App on my GS6 Active