Can I get help with an a few upgrade questions from HTC M8?

Hughey79

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Upgrade questions from HTC M8

I currently have the HTC M8 in 32gb. I have had zero issues with my phone. My wife and her sister have the same and both have had theirs replaced for hardware and software issues. Im the lucky one. Only issue I have is the blinking LED is dimmer compared to my wifes.

I really like the S6 Edge + and it seems it would fit me well. I was tempted to switch back to the iphone 6+ plus next month but thinking Android is the way to stay.

My concerns are the following.

1. Is 32gb enough? I have not used even 16gb on the HTC and do not use a SD card now.

2. Been hearing that Verizon is going to block Samsung pay on the Note 5 so are we safe to assume this will be on the Edge as well?

3. Samsung has rumors that after a few months the phone slows down. Think this will happen with this phone as well given the specs (extra ram)?

Not sure what else to look at here but these are my concerns I am hoping some can address before I pre-order with Verizon later today or tomorrow.

Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Upgrade questions from HTC M8

I currently have the HTC M8 in 32gb. I have had zero issues with my phone. My wife and her sister have the same and both have had theirs replaced for hardware and software issues. Im the lucky one. Only issue I have is the blinking LED is dimmer compared to my wifes.

I really like the S6 Edge + and it seems it would fit me well. I was tempted to switch back to the iphone 6+ plus next month but thinking Android is the way to stay.

My concerns are the following.

1. Is 32gb enough? I have not used even 16gb on the HTC and do not use a SD card now.

2. Been hearing that Verizon is going to block Samsung pay on the Note 5 so are we safe to assume this will be on the Edge as well?

3. Samsung has rumors that after a few months the phone slows down. Think this will happen with this phone as well given the specs (extra ram)?

Not sure what else to look at here but these are my concerns I am hoping some can address before I pre-order with Verizon later today or tomorrow.

Thanks
1. Only you know if 32GB is enough or not. Depending on how much memory you use you'll either need to delete content or transfer files to another device/cloud service to free up space. That's assuming you are out of space.
2. I would imagine that it would also be blocked on the Edge and not just the Note 5.
3. You can have all the RAM in the world, but if the software is not fine tuned to handle the hardware you're going to have problems. If you run into issues in the future you can clear the cache partition or factory reset.

Hughey79

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Well I went ahead and ordered the 32gb in black. I will play with it for a few days when it gets here and see how I like it before I ship the HTC back. Looking for more discussion this week when people begin to get theres. Been a long time since I have had a Samsung and I know a lot of people do so hope its a quality phone. Thank you!

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Can we keep this thread going? I'm thinking of upgrading from my M8 as well and have a few questions to throw out there.

Firstly, battery life. I'm pretty disappointed by my M8's. With power saver on I rarely get to the end of the day without it dying on me. I know it's early but I would love to know how much more I would be getting from the GS6 Edge+.

Second, how big is it compared to the M8? Any side by side photos? (Haven't looked too much online so forgive me if there are photos out there).

To anyone who has upgraded to the S6 from the M8- How is performance? Noticeably better? Negligible difference ? Etc.

How does it feel in the hand? My M8 is slippery but IMO not as much as the reviews said. Is the GS6 Edge + any more slippery or no?

Do you use the fingerprint sensor? Why or why not? Using Android Smartlock I feel like I won't really need it, but if it's incredibly good I might.

Small thing- Is there a quick setting option to toggle mobile data on/off baked into TouchWiz? Really like this feature on my M8 as I don't have a ton of data and regularly toggle it. It's nice not have to dig into the settings to look for it every time.

I would appreciate any answers to these questions! Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

The S6 battery is not good. It's around about the same as the M8 (probably worse but if you factor in the age of your M8 battery the S6 will be better purely because it's a fresh battery).

I have an S6 Edge and I honestly miss my M7. I was using it today to transfer some photos across. The UI destroys the S6 Edge and makes it a pleasure to use. HTC phones have always been nicer to use compared to Samsungs and imo this still hasn't changed. Samsung have the best camera and screen though-- class leading in fact.

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

OK, thanks for the reply. I was guessing that the S6 would have worse battery life. However, since the S6 Edge + is larger, it should have a better battery life than the regular S6, and subsequently my M8- correct ?

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Should be better since it's a larger battery, 3000 mAh. Hard to say now though since it was just released and no reviews are out yet .