Just used Samsung Pay!

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called Beep n Go in the Play Store. I've set mine up, but haven't used it yet so I can't attest to how well it works.

Posted via the Android Central App
Looks like the right idea, but many of the reviews say there are issues with notifications. I don't want it to track me where I go and present me with deals I'm not interested in. They have to monetize it some how.

I love all the suggestions, but honestly I just hope Samsung adds loyalty cards to Samsung Pay. Apple is doing it, so I'm sure Samsung will follow eventually. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the right idea, but many of the reviews say there are issues with notifications. I don't want it to track me where I go and present me with deals I'm not interested in. They have to monetize it some how.

I love all the suggestions, but honestly I just hope Samsung adds loyalty cards to Samsung Pay. Apple is doing it, so I'm sure Samsung will follow eventually. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I've never received any notifications from Beep-n-Go. That's probably because I disabled the "Allow Notifications" option on their settings page.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I used Samsung Pay for the second time Sunday evening at our local Olive Garden. They recently starting putting electronic kiosks on the tables for customers to order food and drinks, as well as paying for their check. Since there's a magnetic card reader there to pay with a credit card, I thought I'd give Samsung Pay a try and it worked flawlessly! I didn't even have to touch the phone to the reader - just close enough for it to register.

On the other hand, it really wasn't that much more convenient than using a card because I still had to sign for it with my finger on the screen. But at least I didn't have to get my wallet out and swipe my card. It also means they didn't get my actual credit card number, which is a bonus. And to be honest, I hope more restaurants start doing this because it's more convenient and safer than handing a waiter your card while they walk away with it to pay for your meal. Of course there is a cost to the merchant to switch to something like this, but I for one certainly appreciate it.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I've used samsung pay like 10 to 15 times already. Haven't had one problem... can't wait for beta to be over so we can add all our cards. It would he nice if they were able to link to some finance app so you can see pie charts of how your spending where and on what category... etc...

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I also was just invited, but so far the install button hasn't showed up in Samsung Pay. :( I don't know if any of my cards will even be supported during the beta, but was looking forward to possibly trying it out. I am signed in to my Samsung acct, but when I checked settings, sync was turned off. Hopefully the install button will show up shortly. The email did say to check for updates, which I did, but got the message that my phone is up to date.

Erckul

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
No luck installing for me, either. I've received the invite, went through all of the steps it mentioned, but the app still only shows a "preview" of what Samsung Pay is. There was no system update available.
I'm on T-Mobile. Not sure if anyone else is that is on T-Mobile is having this issue also.

Update....just downloaded a system update. Still no install button on the pay app, but this looks like a great start.

Last edited:

Erckul

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't even received an email yet! I have the correct bank and phone. Why don't they send me an email to activate?

It took two days for me to get the email. Hopefully, you'll be getting one soon.

Erckul

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
What time of the day do they usually send out the email? Day two here and nothing so far.

not really certain. I know it was the evening (East Coast Time) when I checked email.
Also, from a comment in the XDA forums, Samsung is having issues with new betas being processed. I still can't access the app and I received my emails several days ago.

mrcobra92

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
It's working now! Citibank should be supported on launch day according to the rep I spoke to. If I try and add my Citibank debit card now, I am brought to the terms and conditions diction screen for Citibank, so I know support is coming, but I can't add the card past that yet. BofA works perfectly.

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Someone on the Note 5 forum suggested clearing the cache in the Samsung Pay app. Worked for me! Sadly, my card doesn't work, although I did put my husband's BofA card in successfully.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Well I just went and exchanged my s6e plus for another s6e plus and so I had to call Samsung pay support to add my new phone back to the beta. The Samsung pay support people were very nice and helpful. So if you're having problems with Samsung pay give them a call and they'll help you out.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
So I've been in the beta for over a week now, but I've only had a few chances to use Samsung Pay. Where I've used it, it's worked great. But to be honest, being able to use it at magnetic stripe readers isn't really that more beneficial than when I had Apple Pay on my iPhone. Why is that? Because almost everywhere I go, they take my physical credit card to make the payment rather than having a terminal for me to use myself. I'm certainly NOT going to hand them my phone so they can make the payment for me using Samsung Pay.

So until more merchants at least have terminals that you can use to pay yourself, NONE of these mobile payment systems are going to allow you to leave your wallet at home. That's just a big lie and they know it. I'd say about 90% of the restaurants I go to require you to give them your credit card while they walk away and charge your card. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Olive Garden now has terminals right at your table to pay with, and Samsung Pay worked great there!

I am not disappointed in Samsung Pay, but I am disappointed that we are behind the times in the USA with regards to mobile payments and upgrading terminals. I think it's going to take many years for this to take off here, unfortunately. Yes, I'll continue to use it whenever I get the chance, but there's NO chance I'll be leaving my wallet (or any of my cards) at home.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Are you guys going to continue to use Samsung pay even after Android pay comes out?

I don't think android pay will work as many places as Samsung pay will it? As far as I know Samsung pay is the only one that works with magnetic strip readers that the overwhelming majority of retailers still have.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't think android pay will work as many places as Samsung pay will it? As far as I know Samsung pay is the only one that works with magnetic strip readers that the overwhelming majority of retailers still have.

Yes, that is correct. As long as I'm using the Samsung phone, I'll use Samsung Pay over Android Pay for the reason outlined above. Samsung bought the company that invented the payment method that is compatible with the magnetic stripe reader, not just NFC like Apple Pay and Android Pay. That's not to say either of those won't come up with their own solution (there's a 3rd party solution for iOS that plugs into the port on your phone, but that's not really very practical).

Normally, I don't like to use Samsung proprietary apps or services (like S-Voice and all that), but in this case, it's actually a better solution.

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

I don't understand how the magnetic strip readers would work with Samsung pay. Can you explain please?

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I can't explain how it works but it does. It's a game changer. My day job is for a retail company that has over 1000 stores with a million dollar a week sales at each store... apple pay only works with nfc readers which these stores do not have. But samsung pay beta does work with all their readers. I've never seen apple so afraid that they are running so many commercials now...Google search loopay it's what's built in to the s6 phones and up. Even if samsung only makes less than apenny off each transaction it was a wise decision.

8livesleft

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
This is pretty cool. Truly the future of cashless.

In Korea there are grocery stores that have pics of items with barcodes. You scan them and pay via phone and all your stuff is packed and ready to go before you walk out.

You could even arrange for delivery right to your doorstep.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk