Unable to use data while on a call

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I used to be able to use data while in a call. Now poof it won't let me. Is this a carrier or phone problem? I'd hate for it to be a problem with phone. Only had 2 weeks.

Posted via the Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: what hapened

Did you turn off Advanced Calling? Needs to be on...go to "Advance Calling" under settings.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you are unable to use Voice & Data on a call this could be a CDMA limitation.

GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).
CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A more detailed explanation is below.
[INFO]The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.
Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/INFO]

bugsmac9

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I also just started having this problem and have been searching for solutions. I've read claims that range from blaming it on your carrier, your phone, and 3G vs. 4G. Since this issue only just started happening I knew they were baseless. So I dug into my settings and figured it out.

If you open the settings on the phone app itself, I have the choice of "General" or "Calls." Select "Calls." There will be a place to choose "Voice Privacy - Enable enhanced privacy mode." Un-select this.

Your problems should be over.