Is Samsung prioritizing the S6 Edge + over Note 5?

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Imagine how many edge pluses would of been sold if the edge and edge plus went on sale on the same day. I sold my regular s6e and took a hit dollar wise to upgrade to the s6e plus 2 months after I bought it a lot of people couldn't do that and we're stuck with the s6e.

Posted via the Android Central App

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I think if the note came in gold or silver it would be a tighter race. The edge+ in gold really stands out as the most gift end looking phone available. I was throughly tired of plastic galaxies, nexus, and everything else. I love having a premium feeling and looking phone.
This.

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The rep at my Best Buy was trying to talk me into the Note 5 saying the s6e+ wasn't worth it.

This times one million. This is kind of a long story, but I've never experienced anything remotely like it. I'm asking you to indulge me because I'm just that way LOL...and kidding aside, I learned a lot from my shopping trip this morning.

I went into Best Buy like a lot of people, to look at the two phones side by side, and I've never had a harder full court press than I did from THREE different salespeople about how I really, really, really need to go with the Note 5 instead of the edge+.

Admittedly, this was first thing in the morning on a weekday, and the three people working the Sammy Pavilion clearly had time on their hands. I had some time on my own hands while I was getting my car worked on, so I was in no hurry. And because I had the place to myself, I didn't need to be. I was there for 20 minutes or so, and I heard from all three of the salespeople at least twice, and a couple of 'em came by at least four times -- and every single contact was to try to talk me into the Note.

I've loved my Note 3 mind you...and when I said that, all three of them responded, "Then you know how cool the pen is!!!!!!" I could practically hear the emojis coming out of their mouths. To which I replied, "Uhm, no, I don't use the pen."

At which point, each of them whipped out their pens to show me all the cool stuff I could do with my S Pen.

Soon after I arrived, a father and son arrived. I'm guessing the son was mid-40s, the dad late-60s. They both have the Note 3, except the son had his stolen last night, and he too was trying to decide between the Note 5 and the edge+. Neither father nor son ever used their S Pens.

And these guys got the same full-court press I did! Man o man, the salespeople were ALL OVER these 2 fellas. Kept showing them all the cool things they could do with the S Pen. The phrase "It's all about the S Pen. That's why you want the Note" came out of their mouths repeatedly. "You can do so much more with the Note.:

AND they kept repeating that they're selling hardly any ede plusses, because "everybody looks at them both and goes straight for the Note. They're selling like crazy."

The son actually opted for the Note 5 in the end, but half of me wonders if it was just to get these salespeople off his back.

On the other hand, wow, amazing customer service. They took good care of me. No matter what I wanted to know, they told me. I even got a tutorial in what I could be doing with my pen. They were VERY attentive.

Until I told them that I wanted the edge+, They got icy cold, all three stopped talking to me, barely even LOOKED at me -- and bizarrely enough, were in no hurry to even take my order!!!! I it was like I'd offended them so badly they didn't even want my business.

Oh yeah, and they never once mentioned any positive features about the edge+!!! Not a peep. It never came up until I specifically asked about it, right at the end, right before they stopped talking to me.

When told that the gold 32 wasn't in stock, I asked when they'd get it back in, one of them spat out, "We get them in every few days." In other words, I'm not going to actually look it up for you. One of them at least bothered to go through the motions and said, "Well, it's hard to tell. Maybe try calling tomorrow or the day after."

This all made me wonder if there's some kind of incentive that they get for selling the Note 5, and maybe they were mad because I was costing them money. I have no idea.

I certainly agree that the edge+ is getting more love in GENERAL. The edge and edge+ were on the front side of the Sammy Pavilion, and the Note was on the back. Much bigger signage too, no doubt about it. I see commercials for the edge+ quite regularly, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen one for a Note. Here's my theory: the edge+ looks innovative. It looks like Samsung is swinging for the fences.

The problem is that if they lead with the Note...which they've never really advertised before compared to Galaxy...it now looks like they're trying to play catch-up with Apple...even though the Note came long before the new iPhone.

I don't know about you, but every iPerson I knew mocked me for the Note, saying it was ridiculous, garish, and impractical -- then ran over every dog and senior citizen in their path to buy the big iPhone. It's the curse of Apple's competitors -- no matter how innovative you are, you look like a derivative loser when Apple releases their thing that you had two years ago, because only Apple innovates. RIGHT?

That doesn't enter into the conversation with the edge+. People look at that and KNOW that Apple's not doing anything like that. Of course, once Apple DOES come out with something like this, then Samsung -- and you and I -- will fall back into the category of losers and wannabes.

In the meantime, though, even the Best Buy sales bots admit that edge+ is what's bringing people in the door. Why they're interested in sending those phones out into the wild to make more converts is beyond me....which is why I'm thinking that they must be getting incentives for selling the Note.

Apologies again for the length of this, but I'm still a little traumatized. LOL But the experience gave me a chance to observe this dynamic at close range, and to compare what I saw with what I heard.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
@ metropolitim: Very weird experience, I'm sure. Do you mind telling us where this occurred? At least in what state? That wasn't my experience at all at our Best Buy in the lower Midwest. They didn't seem to care which device I preferred...they extolled the virtues of both equally.

fordhamtroll

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm the OP. I actually decided to go back to the Edge plus. I felt that, since I wasn't using the S pen all that much, if at all, the Note 5 for me felt not too different from the Note 4 and Note 3. Obviously there are differences, but I felt like I just had the same overall experience. I couldn't stop playing with the gold platinum edge plus, and decided that I wanted to try something new this year. We'll see how long this lasts. Not a tremendous amount of functionality but a very fast, smooth and beautiful looking phone. As to your post, I can't tell you how many times my local Best Buy and various T-mobile stores have tried to push the Note5 over the edge plus. I've been told countless times by the reps, why do you want to take a step back and go to the edge plus from a Note 5? It's true, the Note5 really does do more. But I don't think the average consumer really cares about that. The s pen is an excellent powerhouse productivity tool. But in all honesty, how often will the average consumer need to mark up documents or doodle on pics or sign pdf's? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure these are great features that are used but it seems is a niche market imho. I will still say that there is simply no phone like the note, but I decided I wanted something different this time around.

mikezmac

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
100,000 Edge Pluses in Korea alone makes the 10,000 Note 5s in the US seem paltry.

Posted via the Android Central App

I have no clue about sales in Korea, the US has many articles stating that the note 5 is outselling the edge+

1 example
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Sales Outpace Galaxy S6 Edge Plus Online In US

Here's a cute little poll (only 8k votes but that's a good sample point) Weekly poll: Did you pick up a new Note 5 or S6 edge+? | Android Central

I own the edge+ personally, no need for a stylus or a curved back

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
went to 2 best buy's around my home as well and both of them tried to push me towards the Note 5.

honestly tho I put my Note 4 side by side and i didn't notice a major difference at all other then the updated touchwhiz os

i went with the edge plus gold edition and the rep was kind of in shock at me i am curious to see this also that is there some kind of incentive for them pushing the Note 5 on customers?

I don't use the spen much if at all i know I would'ev MAYBE used the feature when the phone is off and me taking notes but that has never been something yet that has happened to me for me to take a note.

Now that football season is around the corner i feel like i will use the edge apps a lot more to check scores and go through apps(fantasy football,espn etc) a lot quicker & i am a big youtube fan and looking at the beautiful edge screen while watching sports or something is awesome.

i just wanted change for the year, i always upgrade every year anyway

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Very weird experience, I'm sure. Do you mind telling us where this occurred?

Palm Desert, CA. That's right, Store 120. I'm talking about YOU. :p

One of the three salespeople indicated that they were all working for Samsung, or maybe he meant that they were working solely in the Samsung pavilion rather than this merely being their department. Samsung was in some sense or another their JOB. I'll give them this. They certainly knew what they were talking about. They all had a unique personal patter about what they do with the pen, with examples ready to show.

What was really strange to me is that if they were so Samsung-y, why should they care which phone I bought? That's what made me wonder if they had some stake in selling more Notes.

As I've been thinking about this, I also wonder if Samsung isn't making more per unit on the Note. They've already amortized development costs for the Note, the parts costs are lower, so the margin is going to be higher than on a brand new, surely very expensive to manufacture new design.

Who knows though? It sounds like my case was extreme. Maybe there really were just three random people who randomly landed in the California desert who wanted to sell me a Note 5 so badly that they kind of got offended when I chose the edge+. :) Kidding aside, I really do have no idea what was going on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante