Cannot send MMS messages using AT&T MicroCell

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
So we have an AT&T MicroCell because we get a poor signal in our home. It works perfectly for phone and data transmission - except with my shiny new S6 Edge+. For the life of me, I cannot send an MMS picture message when connected to the MicroCell using this phone. It just times out into a "Network Error" message. The iPhones in the house work fine (I'm talking about actual MMS texts, not iMessage), the LG G4 works fine, my father's ancient, crappy little flip phone works fine. But the $900-plus flagship? No dice. The second I unplug the MicroCell, the message goes through with a single bar of AT&T coverage, but come on, what a pain in the arse of a workaround. I love pretty much everything about this phone, but honestly, this is a bit of game-changer if I cannot get it to work properly. I work from home and share a lot of MMS picture texts between friends and colleagues. Any thoughts? Anybody else experience this? Is it a Samsung Galaxy thing? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the Microcell only uses 3G for mobile data--so if your phone is set for LTE only, it may not be able to use the Microcell for mobile data. On the phone, go to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks>Network Mode, and make sure it's set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM, and not LTE Only.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy. Unfortunately, I don't have that option available on my phone. My Mobile Networks tab only lists "Mobile Data," "International Data Roaming," "Access Point Names," and "Network Operators." Maybe it's a setting AT&T disables?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
An easy way to tell is if your phone's mobile data ever goes down to 3G or HSPA+. Do you ever see that icon in the status bar? I would assume that the default on the phone would be LTE/WCDMA/GSM (i.e., it can access all of those networks), but if you only ever see LTE or nothing, then maybe someone set it up incorrectly at the store or the factory.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I've seen it read 4G many times when connected to the MicroCell. Have never seen 3G, though I seem to recall something awhile back about the way AT&T labeled HSPA+ as 4G. That sound familiar?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, HSPA+ is often labeled 4G (or "pseudo 4G") because it's pretty fast--but still technically 3G. Different phones show this differently. Some phones will show H+ when on HSPA+ and LTE when on LTE. Others might show 4G when on HSPA+, and 4GLTE when on LTE. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what your phone's convention is. The AT&T people might know, but that's not a guarantee.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Well at least I've found an easier workaround. I just switch the Edge+ into and out of airplane mode quickly and the MMS goes through before the Microcell signal takes control. Really strange. I have no problems receiving picture messages, just sending.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Having the exact same issue with my Note 3. Can't get a picture out at all See 4G at my house all the time. I also have AT&T MicroCell. A must, because without it I have less than one bar of signal. Airplane mode on/off does reset the data connection. How did I not think of that? Thank you. Pre-Lollipoop before Google locked down more stuff like 3rd party apps being able to toggle on / off reset data, I had an app that would do this one click. As I read your post, it seems like only Sammy devices have this issue. Seriously thinking of looking at other manufacturers. I really like my Note 3 for most everything else. And do get use out of the stylus. Note 5 is not an option without expandable memory and removable battery. Okay, that's really for another thread. Thanks again for the tip. Worked great.

Weeble420c

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
So we have an AT&T MicroCell because we get a poor signal in our home. It works perfectly for phone and data transmission - except with my shiny new S6 Edge+. For the life of me, I cannot send an MMS picture message when connected to the MicroCell using this phone. It just times out into a "Network Error" message. The iPhones in the house work fine (I'm talking about actual MMS texts, not iMessage), the LG G4 works fine, my father's ancient, crappy little flip phone works fine. But the $900-plus flagship? No dice. The second I unplug the MicroCell, the message goes through with a single bar of AT&T coverage, but come on, what a pain in the arse of a workaround. I love pretty much everything about this phone, but honestly, this is a bit of game-changer if I cannot get it to work properly. I work from home and share a lot of MMS picture texts between friends and colleagues. Any thoughts? Anybody else experience this? Is it a Samsung Galaxy thing? Thanks.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Sangs: I have S6 EDGE +HAVING SAME PROBLEM WITH MMS AND MICROCELL

Sorry man, I got rid of the Edge+. Looks couldn't trump function. No other phone we own/owned has had problems with the Microcell and since it's a big part of the coverage in our home, the Edge+ failing on it was not an option. Ridiculous that it wouldn't work for something that cost that much.

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Sorry y'all, late comer here. Had to get an ATT microcell because of my terrible Note 5 coverage at home. After several pained hours getting the thing to work, immediately stumbled onto the problem y'all had. Its Samsung's terrible Message App. After being admonished by ATT about third party app's, yet not providing any answer, I immediately downloaded Textra and set it too 600kb. No dice. So then set it back to 1mb but set the options from "Legacy" to "System" as per its advice on non-working MMS, and viola, well 3mins later, voila. Textra is the only 3rd party messaging app Ive seen that makes this "Legacy" to "System" distinction that Ive seen. Not quite sure what the difference is, only know that the crap Samsing messenger doesn't even let you manually adjust message size, which must also be a factor in the microcell since its 3G.

Sowega_Pine

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issue.

The only solution I have found was to download "Photo & Picture Resizer" app from the Google Play Store.

Resize the pictures/mms and it seems to work.

mlbc

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Hamsterstyle1 - very early indications is Textra may be my solution as well (AT&T Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, not yet updated to Marshmallow). My MMS send/receive stopped working several weeks ago. I was a very happy user of GOSMS - but I'm at my 6th support request still unanswered. So much for paying $20 to be VIP customer - what a joke! FYI, my MMS problem was also occurring the stock SMS app.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member