S6 Edge+ Question! Go Easy...I'm a Newbie. ;)

scottnshar

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
So, I'm probably the "Greenest" Person on this Site when it comes to Android...mainly because I've just never taken the time to learn it (yes, I'm an Apple Fan, so I started with the Original iPhone and have made it as far as the 4s, before just keeping 1 phone until its death...which is Very Close)! Please don't Flame me over the iPhone part. LOL

I have a good friend that wants to buy a New S6 Edge Plus 64GB in Gold. The trouble is that he needs it to work on CDMA and GSM/LTE and to have it Unlocked for International Use. I have searched until my Brain is Bleeding and cannot seem to find any Unlocked Versions that seem to say they work for Both GSM and CDMA. I've looked at International Models that are Factory Unlocked, but no CDMA Capability. I've looked at US Models that have CDMA, but can't find a Definitive Answer on Getting One Unlocked (Especially for International Use, because of regional Locks), or GSM Capability.

Can ANYONE give me a Definitive Answer? Is this even Possible? Where do I need to look? Any Help would be Appreciated Beyond Measure! I know the iPhone 6/6 Plus have Dual Radios and Can use CDMA or GSM from the same Handset. Edge Plus seems more Elusive, so far. So Please, I Beg You...Put me out of my Misery and tell me if I'm chasing Unicorns...

Thank You SO MUCH!

Scott

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think you'll be able to find what your friend wants. CDMA is primarily used in the US, so you're probably stuck with getting the phone from Verizon, Sprint, or US Cellular. Verizon only has the gold in 32 GB, not 64 GB. Verizon doesn't carrier lock their phones any more: Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless.

Sprint also only carries the 32 GB gold S6 Edge+, but their unlock policy is a bit more involved--I don't know how many headache your friend might run into: Legal / Regulatory & Consumer Resources

US Cellular doesn't seem to have the 64 GB version, nor does it carry it in gold.

The phones should be compatible with both CDMA and GSM--see this article about the Verizon version: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus (SM-G928V) certified by FCC, partial specs leak

You friend's best bet is probably to buy the Verizon 32 GB gold version outright, then activate it on whatever network he plans to use it on. He needs to make sure that the phone's network bands are compatible with the bands that the carrier uses.

scottnshar

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the Reply! That's exactly what I was expecting to hear, to be honest. I have researched the "Unlocking" Policies of each company in the U.S. (The main ones, anyway), and Verizon seems to be the most logical choice. If he wants Gold, he's stuck with 32 GB and if he wants 64GB, he's stuck with Black.

Thanks again for the confirmation!

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674