Torn between S6 Edge+ and S7

jcords

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I know it's too early to tell exactly what Samsung has in store for us when their next release cycle comes around, but I was wondering if there are others here who are holding off on getting the S6 Edge+ until they get more leaks on what the S7 could be like?

The S6E+ is a great device, but I just don't find it to be too much of an upgrade to the S6E, which is already half a year old by now, to win me over. Since the next S phone is coming out in about 5 months or so, I'm debating between keeping my Note 4 for a while longer or upgrading to the S6E+ now. Nothing's been 100% confirmed yet but there have already been leaks on the S7 regarding specs (came up in AnTuTu and GeekBench listings with a Snapdragon 820 and Exynos 8890 variants), design changes (Magnesium alloy unibody, Turtle glass, dual camera).

Anyone else on the fence about getting either device? Or for those already with the S6E+, would you recommend getting it now or just wait for more reliable info on the upcoming device? Are you planning on upgrading your Edge when it comes out?

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Firstly, please read this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s/582641-note-4-bb-passport-s6-edge-plus.html

Secondly: The Note 4 is a pile of garbage after updating to Lollipop, horrible battery life and super laggy

Thirdly, The Note 6 edge+ firstly has a bigger screen than the S7 will. It has the best camera on the market for a smart phone, it has the 0 lag effect, even after using it for 5 days and installing all my apps, it is still super snappy. Everything launches in a split second. Doube tapping the home screen button launches the camera in a sec so you never miss that magical moment you want to shoot. I don't know what more do you want from a smart phone. But if you want to play the waiting game, there will always be something better coming round the next corner. I say, buy the best of the best now, worry about tomorrow later.

just my 2 cents worth. don't be waiting forever and start enjoying the latest technology.

jcords

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, please read this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s/582641-note-4-bb-passport-s6-edge-plus.html

Secondly: The Note 4 is a pile of garbage after updating to Lollipop, horrible battery life and super laggy

Thirdly, The Note 6 edge+ firstly has a bigger screen than the S7 will. It has the best camera on the market for a smart phone, it has the 0 lag effect, even after using it for 5 days and installing all my apps, it is still super snappy. Everything launches in a split second. Doube tapping the home screen button launches the camera in a sec so you never miss that magical moment you want to shoot. I don't know what more do you want from a smart phone. But if you want to play the waiting game, there will always be something better coming round the next corner. I say, buy the best of the best now, worry about tomorrow later.

just my 2 cents worth. don't be waiting forever and start enjoying the latest technology.
1. Dammit stop making me want the S6E+ even more! :-\ No but seriously, great review, thanks! I'm glad the battery performance has turned out well for the device, despite the smaller capacity. It's been one of my gripes with my phones- I could just barely make it through a day with moderate usage even after all the tweaking and disabling.

2. That's true, my Note 4's battery life did take a hit when I updated to Lollipop. But to be fair, it did return to normal after doing a factory reset.

3. The leaks do mention that since there are likely to be two variants of the S7, they're probably going to come in two sizes as well just like the S6E and S6E+ pairing. I think Samsung is going the Apple route of releasing two size options for the phone together so we might be seeing an S7E and S7E+ next.

I wanted to keep my promise to myself of changing my daily driver only once a year, so I guess my only regret about getting the S6E+ now would be that it's only going to be the latest for 5 months before the next S iteration comes. (I like getting stuff when they're still new so that I know that they'll be the best of the bunch for the longest possible time :p). But like you said, I'll just have to put up with that if I want to enjoy the latest right now. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Have a really hard decision to make.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say if the Edge + works for you now I would go for it. I personally like bigger screens so that helps with my decision on phones. Waiting for the next one to be released will just make you want to wait for something after that as well :).

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The additional GB of ram makes this phone so much better than the S6 edge, and the larger battery makes it a slam dunk. I suspect the regular s7 will have the same small battery issues as the s6. So if you like the form factor, there's no point waiting.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
How can you be torn between the best phone available, and a phone with specs that are not even confirmed yet?

Might as well wait until the Edge2+ comes out.. I mean once the S7 comes out, how can you choose between that and the Edge2+ or the Note 6? LOL

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There's always going to be a newer and better phone coming out... just buy the S6 Edge+. Plus the days of mind blowing new feature additions is over... what could they possibly add that would change the game anyways?

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The Edge Plus Series is a completely different one from the regular s6 series. So this will be the latest and most current one until the s7 edge plus comes out next August. Saying it's not the latest because a completely different series issues a device is the same as saying, I can't buy this one because the Galaxy Alpha will be out in February. So what? Two different devices.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The Edge Plus Series is a completely different one from the regular s6 series. So this will be the latest and most current one until the s7 edge plus comes out next August. Saying it's not the latest because a completely different series issues a device is the same as saying, I can't buy this one because the Galaxy Alpha will be out in February. So what? Two different devices.

That's not entirely accurate. The edge+ is not completely different from the regular S6. In fact, its almost exactly the same as the regular S6 edge except for an extra 1 Gb of RAM. With the plus you get a bigger screen / bigger battery (as is standard with any "plus" model) but everything else remains the same. You do lose out on the IR blaster from the regular S6 edge but who uses those anyway.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
That's not entirely accurate. The edge+ is not completely different from the regular S6. In fact, its almost exactly the same as the regular S6 edge except for an extra 1 Gb of RAM. With the plus you get a bigger screen / bigger battery (as is standard with any "plus" model) but everything else remains the same. You do lose out on the IR blaster from the regular S6 edge but who uses those anyway.
I thought that the camera on the Note 4, Note 5, and S6 Edge+ was better in capturing details than the S6 and S6 edge (not plus) even though they are both 16MP due to the lens itself?

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought that the camera on the Note 4, Note 5, and S6 Edge+ was better in capturing details than the S6 and S6 edge (not plus) even though they are both 16MP due to the lens itself?

The Note 4 has a completely different camera. The S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ and Note 5 all share the same camera. Although, the original S6/S6 edge utilize 2 possible sensors depending on the batch, a Sony sensor or a Samsung sensor, but both perform similarly. The Edge+/Note 5 only utilize the Samsung sensor regardless of batch.

The Note 4 had a completely different sensor (I upgraded from the Note 4 myself). Different aperture and the focus speed is slower as well. It performs very differently compared to the current crop of flagships and while it was impressive last generation, it definitely feels dated compared to this generation's flagships, although not by much.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There are some connectivity differences and more wireless charging options in the S6E+ and the S6/S6E and I believe some display differences. Not huge differences, but some.

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
The camera on the S6 Edge+ has a Sony IMX 240 sensor and it can shoot in RAW mode and it is possible to control the shutterspeed. This is not possible on the regular S6/S6 Edge.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

That's not what I said. I did not say they are completely different machines. I said they are part of a different series. The s7 is not considered the upgrade to the S6 edge plus. If it was the upgrade, then where is the curved screen? The s7 Edge plus will be considered the upgrade, which would not be out until probably August. That means the S 6 Edge+ will be the latest device in this series until then.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
That's not what I said. I did not say they are completely different machines. I said they are part of a different series. The s7 is not considered the upgrade to the S6 edge plus. If it was the upgrade, then where is the curved screen? The s7 Edge plus will be considered the upgrade, which would not be out until probably August. That means the S 6 Edge+ will be the latest device in this series until then.

What you're saying is based off conjecture. No-one can actually verify the release dates for the upcoming flagships or even speculate with any sort of accuracy at this point in time. The Edge+ is part of the same S6 series as the other 2. Just because they decided to do a plus model (a first for the S series) late in the cycle doesn't mean they will always delay the plus model moving forward.

For all we know the next S6 release might launch 3 models of the regular S7, S7 edge, and S7 edge+ all at the same time. Nobody really knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome