Lumia 950?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I won't be getting rid of my Verizon S6 Edge +, but I might be getting a promotion which includes a phone in the near future. Our contract here at work is with AT&T, so I'm really looking at the new Lumia 950XL that will be coming out. Has anyone taken a look and thought about jumping from the Edge + to the 950XL? Just curious.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Before I boarded the Samsung ship I had 2 Lumia 920's. I really, really loved Windows Phone despite the lack of apps. Unfortunately both Lumias were defective one way or another and after 2 swaps I just switched to an S3. I would try Windows Phone again if I could find all the apps I use or some equivalent. Maybe not the 950/950XL though because they look SO bad. Like, not ugly but just plain and boring. Like holy crap, whoever designed these things literally managed to make $600 phones look like $200 dollar ones.

It's a shame because the software is SO smooth and stylish otherwise, it's a real contradiction. If you don't mind the look I say it's worth a shot, especially considering how power-hungry and bloated Android is becoming. Let's hope Windows Phone proves to be still as efficient as iOS like it has in the past.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Before I boarded the Samsung ship I had 2 Lumia 920's. I really, really loved Windows Phone despite the lack of apps. Unfortunately both Lumias were defective one way or another and after 2 swaps I just switched to an S3. I would try Windows Phone again if I could find all the apps I use or some equivalent. Maybe not the 950/950XL though because they look SO bad. Like, not ugly but just plain and boring. Like holy crap, whoever designed these things literally managed to make $600 phones look like $200 dollar ones.

It's a shame because the software is SO smooth and stylish otherwise, it's a real contradiction. If you don't mind the look I say it's worth a shot, especially considering how power-hungry and bloated Android is becoming. Let's hope Windows Phone proves to be still as efficient as iOS like it has in the past.

The lack of apps has always been why I haven't tried a WIndows phone, but apparently, you can use Android apps with the next version of Windows mobile. That is another reason why this is really peaking my interest for the work phone, that is if I get the promotion...

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The lack of apps has always been why I haven't tried a WIndows phone, but apparently, you can use Android apps with the next version of Windows mobile. That is another reason why this is really peaking my interest for the work phone, that is if I get the promotion...

I've not heard of this before. I don't see a reason why Microsoft would try this when it didn't work out so well for BB10. All I've read is that Windows 10 Mobile will support all the apps designed for Windows 10 PC and vice versa. If they did implement support for Android apps though I hope they did it better than BlackBerry. But I've been following Windows Phone closely since my last Lumias and this is the first time I'm hearing this.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I've not heard of this before. I don't see a reason why Microsoft would try this when it didn't work out so well for BB10. All I've read is that Windows 10 Mobile will support all the apps designed for Windows 10 PC and vice versa. If they did implement support for Android apps though I hope they did it better than BlackBerry. But I've been following Windows Phone closely since my last Lumias and this is the first time I'm hearing this.

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges/android

Posted via the Android Central App

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

That's very interesting. But unless I'm misunderstanding it, that doesn't let Windows devices "use Android apps". Rather it let's Android app developers port their existing Android apps over to Windows a lot easier. There's a big difference. Although definitely a step in the right direction and sounds like it will result in smoother operation compared to simply tacking on Android compatibility to Windows.

jabtano

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I, as well am coming over from. We not because of the OS, but because of the devices. If they placed the same effort as they did with surface book., into mobile devices lookout. A WP10on the style of the surface line. Hence surface phone. We shall see if they can win me back. But right now between the exclusive devices and plain looks. I've decided to give galxys edge + and Android a try. Device wise awesome no other word apply. OS wise not bad but who WP OS has some strong things going for it that android can't touch. And visa versa.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hah you might want to wait on that 950 xl cause Microsoft just pulled all the demo version because of unknown issue

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I am a former WP fan boy. I switched to Android about 1.5 years ago. Right now I would not recommend the Lumia 950XL.

The app gap has actually increased lately with a large number of app makers removing their apps from WP because of lack of users. While WP10 can support Android apps through Bridge, as someone else pointed out, it's up to developers to select to do that and go through the app publishing process and it remains to be seen if any will do that.

Had MS created beautiful, Surface like phones for their first flagship in over 2 years, perhaps there would be more interest from users, resulting in more folks porting their Android apps and publishing.

Mint just removed support for WP last week. Things are unfortunately not looking up for WP, and even folks on WPCentral have mostly resigned themselves to having to get an Android or iPhone device.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So this is a "No" on anyone looking to change over to the Lumia 950XL from the Edge +? Well, it's an interesting phone. Like I said, I am not changing from my Edge+, but am still considering all phones for my work. I will probably end up back with an iPhone for work.