S6 Edge Screen Protection

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm definitely picking up an S6 in some form when it releases. The one I want is the Edge, but it seems like trying to keep the screen scratch free will be very difficult without using a crappy PET film screen protector. I have never had a phone, regardless of what number Gorilla Glass it has not scratch in some form. I live in Arizona and avoiding sand is very very difficult so pretty much every pocket will have 1 grain at least and thats all it takes to scratch even Gorilla Glass.

One of the videos I was watching showed the S6 edge on the MWC show floor already had a fair amount of scratches on the screen. So what are you guys gonna do since it seems like Tempered Glass screen protectors are most likely not going to be an option at least for a while, the Note Edge still doesn't even have one even.

For this reason alone I am leaning toward the regular S6 since tempered glass screen protectors will be abundant, but it's so hard to resist that edge.

What do you guys think about this/what will you do if you get the edge?

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I think I will go with a screen protector + case. I notice some cases - Verus, Spigen, Obliq - it looks like they do protect the side of the screen. And again, to avoid scratches, I think having a PET screen protector is better than NOT having anything on it. I guess just need to find a good one. I am also eyeing on the Galaxy S6 Edge. So I am also interested to see what others have to say about protecting the scren. :eek:

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
So where I currently sit on this issue is between 3 options. 1) is the safe route of just getting a normal S6 and getting a glass screen protector then calling it a day (this is what I'm leaning towards). 2) is to get the edge and just suck it up with a plastic screen protector/get a glass one that only covers the non curved parts. 3) get the edge and one of the Samsung flip cases. The biggest problem with 3 is I feel like the curved flip case would be uncomfortable while the case was open in the hand, as in the edges would dig into the hand..

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Years ago the thin film screen protectors were all there was, then cam tempered glass, but the curved screen causes issues for tempered glass so we are back to thin film protectors, unless I give up on the S6 Edge which I don't want to do :( oh well time will tell.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Years ago the thin film screen protectors were all there was, then cam tempered glass, but the curved screen causes issues for tempered glass so we are back to thin film protectors, unless I give up on the S6 Edge which I don't want to do :( oh well time will tell.
Yup. Ghost Armor or hope Otterbox comes up with something.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yea the issue is for ,most of us concerned with this is which wins out in the end, the upgrade on aesthetics for the edge or downgrade on screen feel from Glass to PET film. Basically after lots of thought, my final decision is if the Emerald Green S6 Edge is released on ATT thats what I'm getting and ill just suck it up on the screen protector front because that Green looks so good to me, otherwise its a White/Black regular S6 and a glass protector if ATT doesn't get the Green Edge.

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Somehow I've never scratched any screens for the last 3 years of owning smartphones without having screen protectors. Of course I don't throw a smartphone into the same pocket that has the keys. Simple rule that.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Somehow I've never scratched any screens for the last 3 years of owning smartphones without having screen protectors. Of course I don't throw a smartphone into the same pocket that has the keys. Simple rule that.

You must live in a place with no sand or somehow never get any in your pocket. In Arizona it's quite hard to avoid sand and one grain is all it takes to easily put scratches on your screen.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Even with a screen protector it looks like it'll be very hard to not damage the s6 edge.. I mean it has damn edges. How is a screen protector supposed to help protect the phone from drops on the sides?.... :l

I'm worried about the same, but if you look at the bezel, it will have to fall on an uneven surface to actually touch the screen. If it falls flat, it will be hitting the bezel no matter what side hits the phone. Now if it falls and hits the edge of a step/table/etc with the screen faced down then you're screwed. There's no tempered glass screen protector you can put on it to protect it either. I've gone back and forth daily on whether I'm getting the regular version or the Edge. Being able to protect the phone but still having a minimalistic look (not a huge case) is the big knock on the Edge version for me.

I attached a picture to show what I mean. Now imagine this phone being upside down falling and hitting a surface on the edge like that. The screen would be toast. No bezel to protect it there.

galaxy-note-edge-review-30.jpg

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
there's a kiosk in my mall that specializes in screen protectors and installs them for you. I've purchased them b4 and done it myself, easy enough. but my friend took his iPhone 6+ there and I grabbed dude's business card cause it came out amazing. I have ocd so I've gone through a few to get it as perfect as possible, but I gotta admit, there's a big difference. maybe you can find a local service to hook it up for you, def worth the few extra bucks!

Posted via the Android Central App

UpTheDumper

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm scared this will ruin samsungs quality image. Broken and glass sliver fingers/hands everywhere. I was shocked when they released first specs. Holding out for awhile until reviews and real life things come about, off the showroom floor. Such as getting out of your vehicle forgetting it's in your lap (We've all done it) and hitting the edge just right on a pebble or bad parking lot asphalt.

~ take it all in

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking wet installs like the Spigen Flex will be necessary. Spigen also has a dry install, but it doesn't cover the Edge screens at all, just the flat part of the screen. I don't think I would like that at all. I'm going to give the wet install a shot - I've gotta have this phone and I gotta have it protected!

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I knew someone would do the tempered glass for the edge...especially with the possibility of tens of thousands of these being sold and many owners being concerned about the edges...lots of $$$$$ to be made by those who provide the protection we want!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone found a non-wet application that covers the edges of the, er, Edge? The only thing decent I've found are Skinomi and Spigen, but both are wet applications. I'd love to get something that didn't require a spray. Makes me a little nervous...

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Brasstech

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I received the Full coverage HD one from spigen this afternoon from Amazon...Will still have to wait for my AT&T edge to ship to install....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay